"family has been discriminated against" - situation where i felt treated unfairly

Surbhi 2 / 2  
Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?

grammar? did answer the question? and suggestions?
This is due today, i appreciate ur help.

Being a minority, my family has been discriminated against and treated unfairly in the past. The most recent situation I recall is at an airport. We were coming back to the U.S. from a trip to India, and because of a delayed flight our next flight was transferred to the Heathrow airport in London. We waited about 30 minutes in line, waiting to board the plane. When we finally reached the desk, the attendant checked all of our tickets, but when she checked my sister's, who has Down Syndrome, ticket, she put it aside and made a waving motion with her hand, to two tall men in black suits standing a few feet behind her, to come over here. At first we only thought my sister must have had a mistake on her ticket, but instead the two men escorted my whole family to the side and told us to go down stairs. When we reached the lower floor, there were more security people waiting for us. They told us that they need to do an extra security check on my 8 year old disabled sister. She was required to take off the shoes and then a full body pat-down was done on her.

I felt very offended by the airport security's actions. I believe the situation happened because we look of Middle Eastern decent and my mother was speaking in a different language to my father. The security thought we were using my sister to hide something harmful. This thought is absurd!

In this situation, there was nothing to do but cooperate with the airport security. Yes, I believe the situation did improve as a result of our response. If we tried to question the airports actions, they would have caused us more trouble.
mozzoloco 3 / 7  
Hi Surbhi.This response could be probably very late now.But I think I notice something here.It's hard isn't it to be misunderstood just because of some people paranoia towards certain group of people?

About the essay,I think you only show the physical aspect of the story.You should explain more on what does this situation mean to you.What you think should have or should not happen and why.At the end of it,insert some solid closure and a message like,

"It's saddening on how the society has become so paranoia on certain groups of people.Even though engaging into something very alien to you might be uncomfortable,I personally think the differences should be embrace and everyone should be treated well with respect and courtesy"

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "family has been discriminated against" - situation where i felt treated unfairly