Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

how has your family influenced who you are? UCF admission essay

fernaj13 4 / 9  
Please, tell me all i'm doing wrong in my paper. I have to submit my application for xfer today.

My parents had an important influence in the kind of person I am now. Respect, moral values, good manners are just some of the principles they have implanted on me as I grew up. Undoubtedly, I was raised the old fashion way. However, I still have a long way to go if I want to be as wise as my father , and so determined as my mother. I realize now that all their actions in the past to correct my misbehavior were not pointless, part of my personality is the result of their influences. I am a good father, a good husband, and most important I am a man of values and principles.

My dad is man of good sense, and I cannot take that from him. 'Don Benjamin,' as we call him, may not be a perfect father, but he is the best father of all. In one hand, my father was a very strict, and overprotective. I've cried many nights during my teenage-hood because he would not allow me to go out with my friends. But, in the other hand, he would taught me how to be self-sufficient, how to be honest, how to be responsible, and most important how to be respectful to others. Women get surprise to find out that I know how to cook, to wash dishes, to do laundry, to iron my cloth, to sew, to clean the house, and I tell them that I got it from my father. My dad thinks that he is got to keep working to support all of us. It is amazing that when I see myself working until late night, sometimes even weekends and holidays, it is like seeing my father. One day I asked him, why at your age, 65 years old, you still have to work so much, then he replied, "because the day I die, I want to leave certain that your mother and all of you will not be unsupported. My dad spent quality time with us too, and he proved to me that working hard is not an excuse to unattended the family. He make us enjoy every gathering and family time that we had. Undoubtedly, I am grateful to have my father as my mentor.

Determination is one of my mom's a quality that it is still hard for me to obtain. She always achieve whatever she proposed to get, and always finished any task she started. She says to me all the time, 'don't be a mediocre, no matter how long it takes, get it done.' I am 38 years old, and I have the firmness intention to earn my bachelor degree, even if it takes more than the two years I have left. It is not only self pride, I am also doing it because of her. My mother has always been a woman of big patience. Can you imagine what it is to raise six kids while my father was working? I truly admire her for that devotion. I go crazy when I have to baby sit my two kids all by myself. Melva, my mother, is also a woman of action. She says, 'don't' think too much, just do it." Anyway, I still cannot get that right ,and I think way to much when it comes to makes decisions. I can clearly recall every argument my parents had when as a child and a teenager. Either my mother wanted to get me enroll into karate lessons or into the most exclusive private schools. My father would say there are other options that are less expensive, but she wanted it that way. I cannot blame my father anyway, I have four brothers and one sister, it is hard to keep up a financial stability with everyone's demand. At the end I got the karate lessons, and I got to study in one of the most exclusives private institutions in my country. I salute my mother.

Life has taught me that without the influence of both my parents, I do not know where I would be today. But, one thing is for sure about me, 'like parents, like son.'

Home / Undergraduate / how has your family influenced who you are? UCF admission essay