It was during my family's visit to India to aid my grandmother through her cancer treatments

csc789 2 / 3  
NYU is global, urban, inspired, smart, connected and bold. What can NYU offer you, and what can you offer NYU?

My attachment to NYC began with my visit to the city as an eight year old, and continues to flourish as I constantly noticed aspects of myself reflective of the city. Over the years, I discovered how NYC actively embraces its LGBT population, multicultural backdrop, and social justice standings; I fell in love. Four years ago, I discovered a university that lays embedded into this city, harbors an active international network, and allows me to expand my influence to the world; I became obsessed.

It was during my family's visit to India to aid my grandmother through her cancer treatments that I became aware of the disparity between the quality of treatments available for the privileged minority and the underprivileged majority. Because of my family's affordability, my grandmother was able to escape the unhygienic, crowded public hospitals I had seen, and instead received treatment in an excellent facility. Witnessing how many didn't have access to adequate healthcare facilities brought focus to my ambitions in the health field towards the underprivileged parts of the world. As an undergraduate studying Global Public Health and Science, I will be able to immerse myself in NYU global sites such as Accra and Buenos Aires and revisit the inequity of health care I had witnessed.

Along with my affinity for global issues, I've always striven to contribute to the community around me. While at NYU New York, I seek to establish a Camp Kesem (CK), a volunteer organization that provides children of cancer affected families with free, annual sleepaway summer camps made possible by the fundraisers and planning of the students involved. As a twelve year old who had just lost her dad to cancer, the camp had provided me with a week not only to fight against my helplessness, but also to find a sense of childhood that I had lost during his treatments. As Camp Director of CK NYU, I will endeavor to inspire our student body to provide this much needed service to those affected in NYU's Perlmutter Cancer Center and to the innumerable children of cancer patients in NYC.

Whether it be CAS or LS, NYU's curriculum actively incorporates a humanitarian focus, which I will use to fuel my inspiration when I'm studying for a Global Epidemiology test in Bobst, fundraising for the children of NYC, and conducting case studies at NYU Accra.

///Is my love for NYU conveyed through this essay? NYU is my top school, so this essay is pretty important to me! Be as critical as possible and please let me know if I'm missing anything!///
nada1998 5 / 8  
The essay is pretty good but you focus on why you want NYU and what you can contribute but not much of what the university contributes to you Just add that in either the 2nd or 3rd paragraph and you are good to go.

Good luck

Home / Undergraduate / It was during my family's visit to India to aid my grandmother through her cancer treatments