Fantastic programs and diversity; Carnegie Mellon Sup/ Why Carnegie?

a608863a 5 / 21 1  
Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

After I came to America for four years, I still remembered the embarrassing moment in the airport on the first arrival: I nervously wandered around the airport with my mother and struggled to understand an unfamiliar language that surrounded us. When we passed the security checkpoints, we almost got in trouble because we were confused about the instruction of the officers since we only knew a little English. From that day on, I realized that language barriers could cause problems among people and they might even raise conflict in a society. With the previous experience in America, I understood the necessity of overcoming language barriers among people and I told myself" I would change this when I grow up."

As technology develops rapidly, many IT companies have committed to develop translation and speech recognition system, such as Apple Siri, Google Translator and Microsoft Kinect. Even though these companies have made a huge progress in the last decades, the new products still contain a lot of error and the error rates for arbitrary speech have been in the twenty to twenty five percent which is considerably high. The imperfectness in these products drives me to seek for a chance to study in this field and improve these products in the future.

I see the opportunity in Carnegie Mellon University from the speech made by Microsoft Chief Research Officer, Rich Rashid. From his speech, I understand that Carnegie Mellon has devoted into speech recognition research since late 1970s and Carnegie Mellon University has made a technological breakthrough on speech recognition by using a statistical technique (Markov Model) to improve the old system significantly. In this model, Carnegie Mellon University developed a new method to solve the problem by taking a lot of data from many speakers to produce more robust and statistical models of speech. Since Carnegie Mellon University has a rich experience in this field, the School of Computer Science will be an ideal place for me to achieve my goal and gain the knowledge that help me to succeed in the field of technology.

Aside from the academic, I am also fascinated by the programs and diversity of Carnegie Mellon University. Since I grew up in a non-diverse country, China, I want to attend a school that emphasizes the significance of diversity. A diverse school like Carnegie Mellon University can enrich my life experiences and inspire my passion for knowledge. I know that Carnegie Mellon University provides many international programs for students to study aboard. With these programs, I will have more opportunities to learn and adapt in an interconnected world and broaden my horizons through such experience.

The fantastic programs and diversity embody the characteristics of my dream college. I look forward to become a student in Carnegie Mellon University and share my experiences with other students. For these reasons, Carnegie Mellon University will be a perfect place for me to develop as an individual and discover opportunities that will help me to succeed.
mzontario 9 / 43  
we had a close encounter with trouble due to our limited knowledge of the English language because we WERE confused with the officer's instruction.

AT Cornell.

AcademicS
OP a608863a 5 / 21 1  
Do I answer the questions? I m not sure whether I hit the point of this prompt.
luky0ne 7 / 27 4  
Hmm seems to hit the prompt well :)

ultimate goal- to research

"ultimate goal:(colon) to reasearch"
OP a608863a 5 / 21 1  
Thank you , these changes are really helpful.

For the the word "rich", do you want me to explain why is rich or just the problem of word choice.

Home / Undergraduate / Fantastic programs and diversity; Carnegie Mellon Sup/ Why Carnegie?