Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Farm work - MIT undergrad application essay

techmind20 4 / 7 2  
Prompt: We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you.

Tell us about something you simply do for the pleasure of it

(250 words or fewer)

I'm the daughter of nature. A farm girl right out of a Disney movie. After a day full of schoolwork, house-chores, and Keeping Up With The Kardashians, I return to the lighter experiences of being by spending my afternoons in watering eggplants, cucumbers, berries, mangoes, and what not, and herding our farm chickens and goats in before the night falls. Hoeing vegetable patches and giving baby goats a much needed bath relaxes my mind and allows me to connect with, and celebrate, the mother earth. No pun intended but the fruits of my efforts taste a lot better than the market bought ones and sharing my harvest and farming tips-and-tricks with neighbors and friends has always allowed me to keep my relationships tightly knit together, especially during the eventful year caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Also, I have picked up a rather quirky habit during the quarantine period: watching documentaries about abandoned houses. There is something so fascinating yet hauntingly moving about dilapidated places, once called home, just left behind. My friends told me this is a weird activity but all of them watch such documentaries with great interest now. Time changes, I guess likings change with it.

Farm work requires fitness so late at night, I perform Zumba dance. While burning calories, letting my mind simply flow with my body induces a state of mental relaxation wherein I appreciate the beauty of dance and music and brainstorm the experiments I'd carry out in the kitchen the next day.

Home / Undergraduate / Farm work - MIT undergrad application essay