"fascinated with science" - Duke supplement-why Duke?

everfor 1 / 2  
prompt:(For Engineering Applicants Only) If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke.

Please be harsh if necessary!

Thanks a million for help!
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
Essay:

I have been fascinated with science ever since exposed to Einstein's theory of relativity, Newton-Leibniz formula and Schrodinger equation; the scientific analyses and rigorous thinking make me in deep infatuation. Through studies of science, however, the mere capacity of solving problems hardly matches my desire to put my knowledge into practice since I think functions of knowledge stretches beyond dealing with theoretical issues. Moreover, the experience of writing Java programs for Android systems and developing IOS apps for iphone made me aware that my knowledge did apply to practical use. Therefore, as Einstein distinguished science from engineering by saying, "Scientists investigate that which already is; engineers create that which has never been", I determine to study engineering for my undergraduate degree in hope to to use knowledge to create rather than solve.

In the research of universities, academics is my chief concern, and the vision of what Duke is to offer me in engineering studies is overwhelming. Due to my wide passions covering such diverse subjects as computer science and chemical engineering, I am uncertain which major to pursue ultimately. Hence, I do not wish to be set by a university in a narrow path raised by highly specialized studies. Nevertheless, Pratt's free access to four completely transferable engineering majors enables me to explore a broad range of knowledge rather than limit me in specific areas, providing an incredible room for growth that just fits me well. Apart from engineering courses, the chance to experience intellectual opportunities in Trinity College can as well make me more than an engineer through satisfaction of writing requirement or selection of a humanities and social sciences elective. Such interdisciplinary studies fulfill my thirst for comprehensive learning.

In addition, what attracts me as well is that study life in Duke goes way beyond classrooms. With knowledge acquired, I would be enrolled as a member in Duke Robotics Team, researching in artificial intelligence and developing AUV for the success of the program in AUVSI. Or I could conduct an intensive research like 192 Electrical Researching under the direction of professional staffs; I can, thus in this way, take thorough explorations in my favorite scientific topics and apply my knowledge to practical accounts. Ongoing events concerning my researches can be well documented in my Portfolio, an online repository through which I can share research outcomes and put my talents on display.

Besides the institutions and programs, Duke's unique student body makes it even more attractive. Wandering in wise yet retired Answerperson's blog I can pick inspirations here and there. "How do you organize your thoughts?""What is a real friend?" reveal true student thinkers who, I may imagine, frowned while meditating deep within themselves." Why do we drive on parkways and park on drive ways?""Why do dictionary have page numbers?" are real sparkles lit through daily details. I can envision myself sharing with these fellows inspiring minds which transform seemingly tedious everyday life into magic. I can see it when I got to know students camping out all night to get floor seats for the Blue Devils' Basketball Games. I can see it when I saw the students ally to raise awareness of LGBTQ issues in the Blue Devils United. Duke has an ideal student body, who does not fit neatly into boxes, and with whom I may make my college years exciting.

Few schools offer such incredible room for growth and campus life combined as Duke does; few possess such a strong spirit. With free academic circumstances and daring, inspiring fellow students, I can challenge myself and change my world.
amrosca 4 / 130  
Hei there! :D

I have read your essay and first of all, I think you have not read the prompt correctly. I actually searched for the Duke supplement on their site and according to what was written there this should have been a short answer (1-3 paras). So you must first of all cut back on some words and make sure you don't exceed 500 characters.

Good luck!
RYORAO 2 / 3  
I think you should focus on Duke's program and you. How can they help you?
amrosca 4 / 130  
Hm, the second version is slightly better, but ... this essay is supposed to reveal something about you. And I am sure that the Duke admission officers are pretty familiar with what programs they offer, so I don't think you have to explain that again. My advise: start fresh with a cool idea. When you're done give that essay to a friend and ask them: "Does this essay sound like me?" If they say yes, you can hand it over here to check grammar and such. If not, well, you start over. :) Good luck!
OP everfor 1 / 2  
To amrosca:
Thanks a lot!
And I will think hard how to shine myself through....

And Anyone online please?
Please help review my essay in #3 and post some advice.
Thanks a lot!

Home / Undergraduate / "fascinated with science" - Duke supplement-why Duke?