Fashion Institiute of Technology Entrance Essay

kelly345 1 / 1  
Please give honest Feedback, does it sound to cliche' ! Please do not mind the large spaces it is Word Format.
Prompt:
What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? The essay is also your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments. No more than 750 words please!

Essay Response:
Growing up in New York City as a young child, roaming the bustling streets of Manhattan, is where my love for fashion began. As a little girl I was always amazed by mannequins and window displays. It simply interested me how a simple 10x 12 area of well decorated space with stylish merchandise could tell a story worth a million words. Walking through Macys at Herald Square and Saks Fifth Avenue on Saturday mornings with my family became more than just a free shopping spree; it was a learning experience to look forward to at the end of each week. Shoes, handbags, jewelry, and apparel of numerous designer brands all creatively arranged to become visually appealing to attracting consumers to their sophisticated silhouettes. Fashion rapidly started to become an immense part of my life. Each Saturday was an exciting date that I couldn't wait to with my love.

Unfortunately, in 2006, I kissed the Big Apple goodbye and packed up my things to move to Woodbridge, Virginia. This move was not an easy transition for me. I was starting my life all over again. new friends, new school , and little to no fashion inspiration around. On Saturdays, I would continue to contemplate on what was new in the department stores , and sometimes even sketch what the sales floor might have looked like. Every now and then, my family and I would take seasonal trips to New York to visit family, yet there was never enough time in one weekend to visit Manhattan. I began to find new ways to restore my love, and I began to visit the local mall, analyzing and scrutinizing different aspects of diverse window displays. The windows and merchandise were not as nearly as enticing as the ones in Macy's or Saks , but they fulfilled my basic needs. Wishing to be in Manhattan was not going to bring me back. Therefore I had to be grateful and make use of what was available to me. If I really wanted to rejuvenate my love for fashion, I would have to approach the situation in my own way.

Bright and early that following weekend, I awoke at 10 am, grabbed a notebook and pen, and took notes on each stores window displays and sometimes even took notes on how the business conveyed their "fashion statement" to the customer. Gradually, this became a hobby, habitually I found myself analyzing what and how these stores used visual presentation to sell and promote their merchandise. As my age increased so did my love for fashion , about four years later I was able to start working . A positive attitude and basic knowledge that I developed from my own observations , contracted my first job at Tommy Hilfiger as a Sales Associate. Anxiety and exhilaration took me over as I could not wait for the first day of work, as we all may know as individuals, excitement doesn't last a lifetime.

Keeping up with replenishment, constantly sizing merchandise and staying overnight to neatly put together extensive floor sets made me start to loathe my job. My manager was a great team leader and always encouraged me to go far and beyond. She often assigned me tasks that I would have to figure out on my own, many of the tasks were too complicated grasp. She would always find fault in my work with the mannequins I dressed, even as small as a slight crease in the shirt, or too many pins in the rear of the mannequin. I always come home devastated because , my was effort one hundred and ten percent while my output was only seventy- five percent , in other words my work was never good enough.

Conversely, I was unaware of the valuable advice that my manager was teaching me. I came to the realization I was only looking at the small picture, missing the big portrait that my manager was teaching me how to survive in the cut- throat, ever changing fashion merchandising industry. At that point in my life, I had an epiphany that her criticism was not to demoralize my love for fashion, but to build it stronger so I would develop career-building skills to set me apart from my peers. At some point in our lives, we need to grow up and throw our adolescence behind us, to realize what opportunities are in front of us to achieve our goals ahead of us.
Hi Kellyann,

Gave your post a quick title change just to keep it more on topic.

Right off the bat let me say it doesn't sound cliche at all. reading this makes me feel that you are really inspired to do what you love, especially the part where you mentioned drawing your image of the showroom. Making things really personal like this shows them where your inspiration comes from and shows them that this is more than a job for you, it's a dream and a way of life. Personal stories are what will make this stand out in the mind of whoever reads it. Your essay has identity now, shows there's a real person behind whats being read instaed of having to read a generic list of bullet points as to whay someone should be given what they are asking for.

good luck Kellyann!
OP kelly345 1 / 1  
Thank you so much

Home / Undergraduate / Fashion Institiute of Technology Entrance Essay