I am a fast learner; Peace Corps Essay 1

angie5 1 / 1  
Essay 1
Peace corps presents many physical, emotional, and intellectual challenges.
1. Your reasons for wanting to serve as a peace corp volunteer
2. How these reasons are related to your past experiences and life goals
3. How you expect to satisfy the PC 10 core expectations ( Which expectations you expect to find most challenging and how you plan to overcome these challenges)

Two years ago I was given the opportunity to participate in a service-learning program in rural north-west Tanzania. The four months I spent immersed in the culture and community has forever changed my outlook on life, the developing world, and myself. The reasons I had for engaging in a service-learning program coincides with my reasons for wanting to join the Peace Corps: I find gratification in working with others, especially when I am able to learn something as a result. I believe that by living in a small part of the globe we have the ability to change communities, individuals, circumstances and even ourselves. I have learned that it is important to look at smaller details within projects, development, and countries in order to solve the bigger problems. The Kiswahili saying, 'penye nia pana njia', translates to ' if there's a will there's a way' I continue to relate back to this saying to reinforce to myself that if an individual, community, or nation is willing to put in the work and the willingness to learn from one another, progress, change, and success are all possible.

I am a fast learner, who is self motivated and open-minded. I understand that not everyone is like me, and not every country operates the same. Core expectation four states that your successful and sustainable development work is based on the local trust and confidence you build by living in and respectfully integrating yourself into your host community and culture. Although I understand how prominent cultural differences are, it can be challenging to recognize them immediately. It will take time and patience to understand what is acceptable and what will separate you from the people within your community; but, this is all part of the learning experience and should be looked at positively, as your community is learning about you as well.

I strongly believe in Peace Corps mission to help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of people served as well as to promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans. Core expectation nine, 'Recognize that you will be perceived in your host county and community as a representative of the people, cultures, values and traditions of the United States of America', could potentially arise some challenges. I understand that within the world, there are preconceived notions of what America stands for and how Americans live their lives. As ambassadors of America we are able to give better insight on what Americans truly stand for, how compassionate we are, and what hard work can bring. Also, by learning about the culture that we will be surrounded by daily, we have the chance to inform Americans about the country we fell in love with and were welcomed and adopted by. We can show our friends, family, or interested acquaintances that beauty exists out of our bubble, and it is important to explore new lands, cultures, and countries.

Undoubtedly I know that what I take with me from my service will help me in my future endeavors. I will have gained an even greater understanding of the global world, sustainable development, and what I am capable of accomplishing. From living under conditions of hardship, language barriers, and the unfamiliar cultural practices, I will look at what I have gained as an individual while helping others and not so much the inconveniences that sometimes ruined my day. I would love to pursue graduate school upon returning with a potential focus in sustainable development. By experiencing the necessity of sustainable development in the world I will have a greater desire to learn even more about it and use my prior knowledge and experience to excel.

250-500 Words
Word count- 615
janajackson 4 / 9  
Wow, I really like how you write!
The four months I spent immersed in the culture and community has forever changed my outlook on life, the developing world, and myself.

I think you can present this idea more strongly... I don't want to suggest a line for you because you have a good writing skill and I do not want to mess it up :D

I am a fast learner, who is self motivated and open-minded. I understand that not everyone is like me, and not every country operates the same

I feel it is better if you exhibit your character through your past achievements, experiences etc. rather than just stating them. That way, you'll be able to convince them better and they would come to know your personality better.

Good writing and Good luck!
OP angie5 1 / 1  
Thanks so much for your response!

For your second suggestion, " I am a fast learner who is self motivated and open minded..."

If I follow it up with something along the lines of...

During my service-learning program I was able to learn above the basics of a new language, work closely with the community while engaging in several projects and also teaching an English course at the local secondary school, with no previous teaching background, all within a short period of time.

Still thinking about how to add on to your first suggestion...

Thanks again!!

This is good... I wish you try to elaborate the real situation (talk through your experience) rather than stating it. For example;
During my service-learning program I was faced with many challenges; I had to learn above the basics of a new language, to work closely with the community while engaging in several projects and to teach English at a local secondary school having no previous teaching experience. The most challenging factor was that I had to manage all these tasks in a very short period of time.

I guess this approach is more convincing than just making statements.

Home / Undergraduate / I am a fast learner; Peace Corps Essay 1