"fast-paced city, clubs, opportunities" - Why Brown?

susu 1 / 2  
Hi, can someone please read my essay and tell me what you think?
1000 character max, I have 1300.
Please and thank you. P.S. the city I'm talking about is NYC for clarification

Why Brown? I'm 18 characters over, help!

As a curious freshman I picked up a book of colleges while organizing the College and Career section of my school library and began reading it when Brown caught my eye. I approached my seminar teacher and asked him if he knew anything about the school. He told me that it was a great Ivy and Providence was nice town. Not knowing what that meant, I didn't proceed any further into the conversation. After delving into Brown's courses, different International Relations tracks and the Brown EcoReps I knew this is where I belonged. I mean where else are you free to take a class on contemporary graphic novels or the history of hip-hop? However the most enchanting factor is being able to get the full learning experience because I would never have to be in a classroom with students who don't want to be there. Also coming from such a populated fast-paced city it would be a novel experience to tone it down and feel like part of a cohesive community. All in all, by becoming a brunonian the possibilities are endless.

Why are you drawn to the academic fields you indicated in Question #6?
Note: I took out their names because I didn't want it to come up when people google them.

Economics, diplomacy, world health issues, gender relations and urbanization are just some of the issues I will get to learn about in the Political Economy and Development track of International Relations at Brown. In just one major I will get to learn about topics from other majors as well (I hate the way this sentence sounds). With a (minor or double major) in environmental studies I will continue learning about the different issues our planet faces and gain the tools to construct realistic solutions that benefit multiple parties. The combination of these two majors will help me succeed in a career in Environmental Law. (need help with good transition)

After engaging in conservations with brunonians, -------- founder Pencils of Promise and ------- founder of Dress for Success who both started successful non-profits at such a young age armed with just the education they they received. I know that I will gain the tools and knowledge to make an impact in the world no matter what route I end up in at Brown.
Looks like you are missing a period at the end, in the last sentences.

Um... Providence is really a cool place. It has strange energy or something, a strange and emotional, creative atmosphere.

I think you need more evidence to show what you liked... the thing about hip hop showed a little of what you mean. I think the word inspiration is appropriate, and you should find some ways to talk about being in Providence when you are getting the foundation for your career. Brown is going to become part of you if you go there, and part of your career. Your career is what this is really about. Let's focus a little more on the specifics of your plan.
Not knowing what that meant, I didn't proceed any further into the conversation. not helpful

In just one major I will get to learn about topics from other majors as well (I hate the way this sentence sounds). --- then just get rid of it. Think about your purpose. This is the way to do anything, not just writing: think of what you want to accomplish. You want the reader to know how serious and driven you are so she feels as passionate about your education as you do. Omit all sentences that do not contribute to achieving that purpose.

With a minor or double major) in environmental studies, I will... --- just keep it simple so the reader gets hit hard by your main idea.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "fast-paced city, clubs, opportunities" - Why Brown?