(father debate, natural world, dishes) Why Stanford, Intellectual Vitality and Letter

silverdra 5 / 12  
Hi
Here are my three Stanford Essays

1. Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

Characters available 1800

"Dad, you are wrong. It is just not possible for 1.9Ě... to be equal to two."
"I'm not, son. You just need to think about it more carefully."

I still remember that intense debate between me and my father clearly. What began as a casual discussion about what I did in school evolved into a statement that shook the foundations of my mathematical beliefs to their core. He tried to introduce me to a deeper understanding of math by stating 1.9Ě... is equal to 2. How could this be possible? At the age of fourteen and only taking Algebra courses at my high school, I could not bring myself to accept this fact: to me, 1.9Ě... is only 1.9Ě... and 2 is only 2; these two numbers are distinct and separate. I argued vehemently against my father's statement, until it was bedtime. As I climbed into bed, I remembered my dad said a word several times during our conversation -- calculus. What is this strange term? Why did my dad mention it so many times? These questions bogged my mind as I twisted and tossed around in my bed, unable to sleep. "Know thyself and thy enemy," I mused to myself, "I'll do some research to find out this "calculus" really is."

The next day, I quickly finished my homework and eagerly turned on the computer to start my research. Thus, I began my journey of understanding calculus. What I saw intrigued me deeply: the concept of infinity, of limits, and slopes. These novel ideas were difficult to grasp at first; Later on, however, I learned to appreciate their importance once I witnessed real-world examples that could relate to my life, such as instantaneous velocity of a car etc.

Naturally, I conceded defeat in the argument with my father after becoming more familiar with calculus. Nonetheless, as the old saying goes, "the more you know, the more you know that you don't know." Looking back, I realized that although I had taken two calculus classes and engaged in many discussions with my parents and peers, there are still numerous area of knowledge that are unknown to me. However, according to an old saying, "learning has no end." I am eager to open the doors that lead to these uncharted areas.

(2117 characters)

2.Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.
Characters available 1800

I am always fascinated by the minute details of our natural world. Not only do I comment "Wow, that's cool!" when I observe an interesting phenomenon, I also want to delve deeper, right into its essence, and understand the principles behind it. Only then can I be satisfied. Therefore, I am deeply intrigued by chemistry because many aspects of it are unknown but it is omnipresent in every aspect of our lives.

I believe that the Chemistry Department at ...
After changes:

I delicately placed an egg inside a clean jar and immersed it with vinegar. My teacher said that calcium could be dissolved by acid, but did not demonstrate it. Wanting to see the reaction myself, I set up the experiment in my kitchen and, after a week, observed that the shell had been dissolved.

Even as a child, I was very interested in science, especially chemistry. My parents often told me stories of famous scientists. I admire these people who have contributed to our society. Like them, I am simply not content to be told of a phenomenon, but have to dissect it and see the principles that make it function in order to be satisfied.

In addition, I have a younger sister who was born with Cerebral Palsy. Deeply saddened whenever I saw her perform everyday tasks with great difficulty, I dreamed of becoming a researcher, specifically an experimental chemist, who can contribute to the society with my scientific knowledge.

Stanford has excellent courses for undergraduates with a strong background in Chemistry. Having earned a score of 5 on the Chemistry AP exam, I plan to enroll in advanced courses such as Chem 31X, which will provide the foundation for conducting research with the distinguished faculty in the Chemistry Department. Particularly fascinating to me is Prof. Cegelski's research project on Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery, which I intend to participate in. Her idea of using small molecules to disrupt cellular processes in bacteria interests me deeply because it may be an effective way to study pathogens' cell wall biosynthesis. In addition, Prof. Cegelsky's approach emphasizes biology, chemistry, and physics. This interdisciplinary nature is very conducive to my development into a well-rounded person, ready to face the challenges of graduate school and most importantly, the modern world.

With its advanced courses and its prestigious research activity, Stanford is the perfect place to help me narrow the gap between my dream and reality.

1975 characters

(1867 Characters)

3.Stanford: Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.Characters available 1800

Dear Roomie,
I am so happy to hear we will be sharing a room. My name is Hanqing. No, not Hanging; Hanqing. Many people mistake the "q" for "g", but actually it sounds like a "ch". Or you can just call me "Han". I was born in China, moved to Singapore at the age of six, and immigrated here at eleven. On the outside, I look like a typical Asian: I eat rice with almost every meal, play the piano, wear glasses, and like to study hard in school.

I also possess a unique sense of curiosity. They say that curiosity killed the cat. If I were a cat, I would have probably died hundreds of times. In all seriousness, I enjoy testing out new methods to conquer challenges. You brought in some kimchi? I haven't tried it before. Can I have a bite? I am open-minded and like to learn about the world around me. Therefore, I spend a lot of my leisure time looking at news articles on websites such as CNN and BBC. To satisfy my thirst for knowledge, I'm an avid reader. I read a wide variety of genres, from the Harry Potter series to The Lost City of Z, a nonfiction account of explorers in the Brazilian jungle. With so many books in our tiny room, it will be a huge mess. So, please do not be surprised when the ROTC enters and transforms it into "Hazardous Environment Training Course Number 4".

Lastly, you should pay for the meals that I cook. I really enjoy cooking, and have a lot of recipes ï both eastern and western ï at my disposal. Although my dishes cannot compare with Wolfgang Puck's, I believe they are of restaurant quality (at least according to my family members and friends; take it with a grain of salt).

Hanqing
P.S. I was kidding about paying for my cooking.
P.S.S. Please disregard that burning smell. I was attempting to overclock my computer for the third time. Looks like I failed again.
(1974 Characters)

Please critic my essay. Were my essays interesting/insightful? Also, how should I shorten my essays to fit the character limits? Thanks!
1mPeRvI0uS 1 / 5  
essays 1 and 2...do not use quotes...restate them with your own words...
essay 1: you have a good intro its catchy but maybe you should try to do more showing in the second paragraph and try telling the point and how it relates to you things in the last one

essay 2: tell them what makes you a good match for stanford...do not praise stanford...imo you completely missed the point.
essay 3: it's ok I guess!
yummango 1 / 2  
These essays are all really solid! Great job with them.
Only one thing, it's PPS not PSS
navalava 6 / 30  
Really loved your third essay. I think it shows more about your personality than any of the others!
gigi5 3 / 12  
In essay 1 I liked the part about "Know thyself and thy enemy". But in the last paragraph cut out the old sayings, just paraphrase them.
1mPeRvI0uS 1 / 5  
forgot to mention...
shorten your essays!!!
you cannot exceed the character limit in the stanford application!
OP silverdra 5 / 12  
hi guys, I wrote another version of the #2 prompt, plz tell me what you think of it and how to shorten it. Thanks!
Even as a child, I was very interested in science, especially chemistry.

I always prefer to have stuff like this revised so that it is not so cliche, so common. To say you were interested in something since childhood is just so common in these essays. I think it will be better to SHOW that you loved it since childhood by replacing this sentence with one that mentions a specific example of something you did at a young age, action you took based on this interest.

I like this sentence: Her idea of using small molecules to disrupt cellular processes in bacteria interests me deeply because it may be an effective way to study pathogens' cell wall biosynthesis. --This really shows your understanding of her work.

Home / Undergraduate / (father debate, natural world, dishes) Why Stanford, Intellectual Vitality and Letter