My favorite word "Excellence" - essay help

tonydengcnu 23 / 17  
I am not satisfied with my writing and I am not sure how to improve it. Hope you can help me a) improve writing, especially the part you find hard to understand b) if you were to write this topic, what else will you add? Great thanks!

My favorite word is "Excellence", which means the quality or state of being superior or outstanding. It derives from a Latin word "excellentia".

At the first glance, the letter "e" appeared four times in near symmetry, and brings us a feeling of harmony. In addition, the two letters "l" is much taller than others. So this word reminds me of a Chinese idiom "stand head and shoulders above others", which means one is superior to all the others.

Another reason why I love this word is that it looks quite stable. Some letters such as "y", "g", "j" reaches the bottom line and shows a seemingly falling tendency. The lack of such letters in this word makes it look stable.

My passion for this word is also related to my personality. The harmony of symmetry it shows fits in well with my taste. I like balance such as that between learning and living. Only by keeping a good balance can we avoid unnecessary worries and raise efficiency. Of course, I also want to stand head and shoulders above others. This word is a friendly reminder to me to exert all my efforts. Meanwhile, its stability reminds me to take time and strive for my final goal.

At the first glance, the letter "e" appears four times in near symmetry, and brings us a feeling of harmony. In addition, the two occurrences of the letter "l" stand out as much taller than others. So this word reminds me of a Chinese idiom: "stand head and shoulders above others", which means one is superior to all the others.

...Meanwhile, its stability reminds me to take time and strive toward my final goal.

You took a great approach to this! Most people would talk about what the word means, but you talk about what it looks like! What subject will you be studying/majoring in college?
OP tonydengcnu 23 / 17  
thanks for your suggestions. I am applying for a program in economics.
seatoy 6 / 6  
Dear Tony, I agree with Kevin that you took a great approach to this topic, but as I remember, the essay of this topic usually requires 250 words. It seems that you have to add something more. Maybe your life experience which is related to the meaning of this word. Just for your reference.
OP tonydengcnu 23 / 17  
thanks, seatoy. It seems that you are also from China. Is that so?
bonse - / 3  
An essay about why 'hope' is my favorite word

I have to write a 200+ word essay about why my favorite word is 'hope'. It's for a secondary school entrance application. Help, please!
gymnast9195 2 / 7 1  
Some ideas to help you write about it:
-Use the definition of the word and tear it apart piece by piece and show what it means to you
-Write how such a simple word can mean so much to someone

That's all I've got for now... hope it helps! :)

Home / Undergraduate / My favorite word "Excellence" - essay help