My Favorite Word is "Weird" - UVA supplement

stemerson 3 / 5 1  
Prompt: What is your favorite word and why? (250 words)
Please be critical and thanks in advance!

In elementary school, "I" before "E" except after "C" was drilled into me ruthlessly. Yet, as I grew older, I began to learn exceptions to this rule. My favorite exception, and incidentally favorite word overall, is weird. It's awesome! The "I" before "E" rule is totally thrown out the window. In fact, the word "weird" is just what its' definition implies: something uncanny, supernatural, different. This is significant to me because just like "weird" I strive to be the exception to the rule.

Many of my heroes found daring and unexpected ways to break (or at least bend) the rules. When Einstein (another "E" before "I") introduced his theory of Special Relativity, he discovered an exception to Newton's Three Laws, opening up a new - and very weird - branch of physics. Similarly, when the Wright Brothers flew, they broke the accepted "rules" and proved the impossible to be possible. Time after time, history shows those who had the greatest impact on the world did so by finding ways to break the rules.

In my life, I strive to create or be that exception. I always try to know more and ask the critical question, why. I want to push the boundaries of human understanding, and do something different with my life in a field I am passionate about, wherever or however that manifests itself. Even if I have to get a little weird to do it.
karanbhullar 3 / 13 5  
Your essay is really well written. It clearly explains the 'why' part. Just a little grammatical errors.

Time after time, history shows those who had the greatest impact on the world did so by finding ways to break the rules

Time after time, history has shown that those who made the greatest impact on the world did so by finding ways to break the rules
The "I" before "E" rule is totally thrown out the window.

....:D ...LOL ....This is very interesting :D
The "I" before "E" rule is totally thrown out of the window here.

I strive to be the exception to the rule.

I love being unorthodox and find exceptions to the rule.

When Einstein (another "E" before "I") introduced his theory of Special Relativity

... I would like to change the punctuation;
When Einstein , another "E" before "I", introduced his theory of Special Relativity. .

Home / Undergraduate / My Favorite Word is "Weird" - UVA supplement