"I feel it is better to be a leader than a follower." - UC Personal #2

bcbossman 1 / 2  
I grew up as a child, who had very little self-confidence and was very shy. I was not happy being this way and often felt jealous of other people who were happy to speak up and take control of tasks and situations. I wanted to be one of those leaders and not the follower that I certainly had become. The journey of once being a follower, then allowing myself to break my shell, and now taking on leadership responsibilities has not been easy to say the least.

As far as I can remember, the first time I began building myself as a leader was in the sixth grade. At that time I was young and shy with a soft back bone, but I was ready for a change. Something I felt in side of me for a very long time. Back in sixth grade, intramural sports was one of my favorite hobbies. Up until that grade I was never a captain for any of the teams I played on. That basketball season would be different. A select few of the best players in our grade would sign up for the challenge and only a handful would be accepted as captains. That year, I was lucky enough to become a captain and start becoming a leader. Fortunately, our team ended up on top that year, and maybe just maybe gave me the fire to want to lead again. A basic child's game of basketball taught me that a leader must take charge, have a vision, and share his or her vision.

Today, I use those same basic leadership qualities that I learned when I was twelve years old for now when I am nineteen. In recent years, I have been elected Vice President of my Senior Class in high school, Co-founder of the Inter-Cultural Club, and mostly recently elected as Bakersfield College's Student Government Treasure. The responsibilities we experience, as a student leader has not been easy. A lot of our time and effort is put into our agendas and projects, but at the end of the day, everything we do gives us a huge sense of accomplishment. Ultimately, I hope to take the knowledge that I've learned as a young man for corporate America. A world where only the strongest minded and most prepared survive. We are only sure about living one life. Thus, I am trying to take advantage of it and not accept second best. Personally, I feel it is better to be a leader than a follower.
misheel 2 / 7  
I really like your essay. I don't see any problems with it.. hmm can you take a look at my essay for the same prompt? Thanks
OP bcbossman 1 / 2  
Prompt #2 (all applicants)

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

This is the prompt!
misheel 2 / 7  
my essay is under the title "To start life afresh in California" - UC, What do you think of it so far?
You can begin with this:

As a child, I lacked self-confidence and was very shy.

Also:

As far as I can remember, the first time I began building myself as a leader was in the sixth grade. At that time I was young and shy with a soft back bone, but I was ready for a change--something I had felt inside me for a very long time.

Today, at nineteen years old, I use those same basic leadership qualities that I learned when I was twelve.

Great job!!

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / "I feel it is better to be a leader than a follower." - UC Personal #2