The feeling of absurdity. CommonApp Writing Response. Any comments will be appreciated

mohito1999 2 / 3  
Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.

Perhaps, the greatest adversary I have faced in my 17 or so years of existence has been the feeling of absurdity. The French philosopher, Albert Camus once said that "At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face." Absurdism is the philosophical school of thought which states that the efforts of humanity to find inherent value in life will ultimately fail.

It was a typical Wednesday evening. I had taken my place in the bus and prepared for the two -hour long bus ride that awaited me. I could hear the Koreans chattering away and the smell of sweat lingering in the air. It was a rather unremarkable evening; I spoke with my fellow classmates about school and we expressed our mutually shared anxiety of college applications. As time progressed, the bus had subdued and we settled in for the long ride home. Glaring out of my window, I absorbed the beauty of the city lights and marveled at the piercing skyscrapers. It was truly remarkable what this city had achieved in 20 years; from a mere fishing village to becoming the thriving metropolis it is today, this city truly personified the progress us humans have made. However, with each passing moment, I felt the feeling of absurdity creeping in until it had overpowered me. Yes, it is impressive what this country has achieved in this short period of time, but what is it all for? When Earth ceases to exist, all of our impressive buildings and monuments will mean nothing, the cold, unforgiving nature of the Universe will refuse the existence of a race such as ours as it will ask, in the scale of things, what have we done?

The thought of never achieving a meaningful feat haunted me for the rest of the bus ride. I went home with a sickening sensation in my stomach and refused to eat supper. I went to bed early that night, forfeiting homework and assignments for some much needed time to think. Time seemed to have sped up and I found myself gasping for a deep breath of air.

The slowly creeping thought of never achieving anything meaningful in life bothered me. I realized that no amount of money I could earn would secure me a spot in the grand scheme of things. I realized that as a mere mortal, I cannot secure a legacy that will stand the test of time, the cold brutality of space, and the vast emptiness of the universe; and in those few moments of doubt, I had a sudden revelation.

Absurdity, although it seems like something negative, requires you to go in-depth to seek out its true meaning. Since I am not able to find inherent value in life, I am now a truly liberated being. I am no longer bound by the social conventions which cause me to shape my future, and instead I can shape my own future; one based on the principles of revolution, one that makes me a harbinger of changer. Against the wishes of my parents, I have chosen politics as one of my majors and absurdity is what can be credited for that. I have made politics my ultimate goal in life. I wish to represent my nation on the global scale, so I, as the ambassador of the world's largest democracy, can ensure for change to be brought to our world. Absurdity has given me clarity and I can now see that in order for me to secure a legacy, I must be able to first make my own values in life, and for that, I truly thank absurdity.
a_nguyen 1 / 2 1  
This is a well written essay, but since this is for common app. I recommend you crossing out, "or so years" and keep it as, " faced in my 17 years of existence..." to make it sound more fluent. Also, in the fourth paragraph, "the slowly creeping thought" does not really go together. Perhaps, "The thought of never achieving anything meaningful in life frightened me." Overall, this looks very well written.

Would you also mind checking out my essay as well?

Home / Undergraduate / The feeling of absurdity. CommonApp Writing Response. Any comments will be appreciated