Feeling sheltered is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely isn't the best. Why NYU?

takinwe124 2 / 3 2  
Due by midnight. Feel like it's all over the place, and weak ending. Any opinions?:

NYU is global, urban, inspired, smart, connected, and bold. What can NYU offer you, and what can you offer NYU? (200-400 words)

Feeling sheltered is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely isn't the best. Despite being an only child in the South, I desire to transcend beyond the unknown. I do not like accepting normalcy, because I know that it does not reflect on the outside world. That's what triggers my unrelenting perseverance in any task. As I constantly spend countless hours scouring over a project for a class or my internship, I realize I do not know how to give up. I appreciate new experiences, and challenge myself to go beyond my comfort. Despite this, I have never been very good at leaving a familiar environment completely. As a result, traveling had never been an interest of mine.

This couldn't be more true during sophomore year as I traveled to Nigeria for the first time. I was born there, but the country seemed as foreign as the States are familiar to me. Initially, all I wanted was to go back home to my technology. However, as I spent my days exploring the busy streets of Lagos and eating my fair share of the local food, I realized that the people of Nigeria, like many other cultures, are content without all the "luxuries" of the Western world, because they have such a strong culture.

Visiting a foreign country certainly got me out of my elements, but I was able to understand the importance of interacting with the global environment, rather than sticking to where one feels comfortable. NYU understands this as it provides students with a global context. At the heart of a global city, NYU students are a mix of different cultures, identities, and interests. I am especially fond of how the university prides itself on its dedication to making their students "global citizens," and I hope that my time at NYU will allow me to grow in the global world through such programs as study abroad. My desire to endure is what I can offer back to NYU. As I study at the College of Arts and Sciences, I will immerse myself in different cultures and have a true understanding of the global scientific world.
Boa503 6 / 16  
Yes, indeed you only answer the first half of question. I think that you need to discuss what you can offer NYU...

Home / Undergraduate / Feeling sheltered is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely isn't the best. Why NYU?