LIBERAL ARTS HONORS: ESSAY RESPONSE (REQUIRED)
We want every Liberal Arts Honors student to aspire to be a Rhodes Scholar, excelling in and out of the classroom with the goal of serving one's family, community, and country. In creating the scholarship, Cecil Rhodes sought young people who have the "moral voice of character and instinct to lead," young people who would "fight one of the world's great fights."
Which of the world's great fights will you fight-and why? (No more than 200 words)
The flames and gun smokes permeates in the testing mall where SAT takes place.The flames and gun smokes permeated in testing malls where SAT takes place, where hundreds of applicants were recalling the memory of a special piece of paper instead of tough vocabulary; they spent much money on the leak "answer key" and thus expected a bright future to be brought by the "high scores" on paper. So my fight will begin here, not for the exam itself, but for the moral values behind it. I wonder why they base the "success on admission" on cheating and how they will proceed on the other side of the Pacific. Believing the diploma and reputation of a "top" university will lead to a decent a job and the accompanying happiness, they trivialize and abandon the "burden" of virtue. I am surprised that the dark part of the adult world is now corroding young teenagers; those burgeoning flowers, who resort to cheating, then start to bribe, fool and distrust others, not realizing that they have driven the world to the primitive animal society, in which the self-interest is supreme.Through humanities and social science. I will fight in the conflict between moral criterion and material needs. I am proud of being such an idealist.
PERSONAL STATEMENT (REQUIRED)
Please write five sentences describing yourself, your life, and your experiences that form an accurate portrayal of who you are. Do not list information provided in your résumé or on the ApplyTexas application. Be creative! Please number the sentences 1 through 5.
1. My mom believes in Voltaire's "Life depends on motions" so that she laughs at my motto that "Life depends on staying motionless"
2. I have been learning the Chinese bamboo flute for over 8 years and therefore be fond of pop music that contains the traditional part of Chinese instruments.
3. Despite my love for watching basketball games, I still prefer DOTA2 since it requires no outdoor preparation and prevents potential harm but can still train my reflexes and cultivate the team spirit.
4. Though always considered as a nerd, I learn for the sake of learning, read (mostly historic and scientific fictions) for pleasure, and write (short stories in random topics) for getting the constant flow of imagination out of my chest.
5. I study Cantonese on my own and have an interest in different Chinese dialects and their influence on us.