Figure Drawing - Cornell Architecture - Supplement

lalalalisa 2 / 2  
Although quite an unusual inspiration, figure drawing sparked my interest in architecture. Growing up, I always thought architecture was somewhat cold and heartless: it's steel structure, perfect linearity, caged enclosure, and disconnection from nature. When the thirteen year old me picked up particular heavy, magical book, filled with watercolor sketches of the human figure in motion, I entered an epiphany, and forever dismissed my previous assumptions.

Calatrava's Turning Torso left me in complete awe - the human torso in the most simplistic, box-like form was remarkably the inspiration of a building structure. I started my journey with figure drawing four years ago at the Art Center College of Design. Each drawing session was not only my source of improvement, but also my source of comprehending the importance of structure. I spent hours sketching the figure using simple geometry, searching for balance and grounding the figure so there is a sense of stability. I would then build up layers of muscles and joints, to fully illustrate the human body. The process is very mathematical: I try to estimate the proportion of the body, distances from each major point, and scale my observations down to the size of the paper. However, there is also a sense of freedom in figure drawing when I let go of reason. I seek movement by swaying my arm to mark lines that connect throughout the body so there is a certain spirit to the pose. In contrast, Calatrava deconstructed the figure, but still kept the gesture to retain the essence of the original form. What a genius.

To further my interest in architecture and figure drawing, I spent a summer at the Rhode Island School of Design Pre-College Program. My foundation design instructor assigned a form study project with no boundaries. I, being highly passionate about structure and form, had many ideas just waiting to be exploded onto paper. My interest in figure drawing definitely contributed to the organic shape of my sculpture. I believe that the female body has a more intriguing form; consequently, my project relied heavily on curving patterns inspired by the female figure. To make my idea come to life, I rummaged through "Second Life", an art material dumpster in which students and faculty donate their used, or spare materials. Looking through different textures of paper, potential materials, and imagining what everything would look like put together was like solving a really fun puzzle. After shopping through precious junk, I spent a lot of time trying to make precise, clean cuts on textured paper, and flawlessly gluing all the pieces down on a plastic tube. The process required a lot of experimentation, and I made a lot of mistakes before reaching my ideal design. However, achieving my vision placed an everlasting smile on my face.

I understand that Cornell architorture will refuse to offer me sleep, and sometimes make me unhappy and overstressed, but the process of pushing myself beyond control will mold me into a more time efficient, creatively driven individual.
gracedrift 7 / 34  
However, I found the most fun visiting Second Life, an art material dumpster in which students and faculty donate their used, or spare materials. Looking through different texture of paper, potential materials, and imagining what everything would look like put together was like solving a extremely fun puzzle for me.

I would revise it...

However, I found visiting Second Life the most fun. Students and faculty donate their used, or spare materials to this art dumpster.

And it should be textures, not texture.

You also might wrap it all up at the end and reconnect to your initial interest and thoughts about architecture.

Good luck!
Grace
OP lalalalisa 2 / 2  
i revised it. Do you guys think I should include the last paragraph?
gracedrift 7 / 34  
it's steel structure

I'm not entirely sure how you meant it, but it's is the contraction for it is.

I don't think the usage of epiphany is correct.

I would then build up layers of muscles and joints, to fully illustrate the human body. no comma necessary
just waiting to be exploded onto paper

Find a different word for exploded-awkward wording

To make my idea come to life

To breathe life into my idea

will refuse to offer me sleep

will deny me sleep

architorture
misspelling

pushing myself beyond control

pushing myself and discovering my limits?

Last para revised:
I understand that Cornell Architecture will deny me sleep, and sometimes stress me out, but the process of pushing myself and discovering my limits will mold me into a more time-efficient, creatively-driven individual.

I think you should include the paragraph. The essay's looking great; and your topic's a killer. Just go back over it with a fine-tooth comb. Look at each sentence as a separate entity to check for grammar, spelling, etc. Try to eliminate unnecessary qualifiers.

Have fun! ;)
Feel free to post another if you want; I love looking over these things
neoreader 4 / 6  
I really wish there was more that I could offer, but it seems that everything has been touched on. I just wanted to say that this essay appears to be very well written

Home / Undergraduate / Figure Drawing - Cornell Architecture - Supplement