Fiji has taught me; Educational Interruption Explanation - common app

savusavu 3 / 8 1  
Fiji has taught me what a significant role family and culture plays in our lives and therefore I knew that after high school I needed to get back in touch with my family and culture in my home country - Germany. I had left Germany as a girl and returned as a woman.

I had not seen my family in six years and was always jealous of the big extended families they had in Fiji. Now it was my turn to be with my family. I went to a family reunion in Denmark and got to know the Scandinavian side of my family. I also got back in touch with my biological father, whom I had not seen in years.

I embraced every bit of culture I could. I traveled around Germany and central Europe and saw how culturally linked we all are. I enjoyed the ancient history, the churches, castles, museums, galleries, classical concerts and theatres.

I went to Universities, science labs and saw lectures to learn about the different fields of studies. I always wanted to study science and here I had the chance to see the various sciences applied and got to learn about the numerous professions. I sat for the SAT, TOEFL, ACT tests and got my Fiji exam certificate recognized in Germany.

I did some voluntary work at the migration service where I helped asylum seekers to integrate themselves in the new country. I also gave English lessons to some boys who had just arrived in Germany. For the Border Museum in our town I translated German texts for the new permanent exhibition into English and volunteered as a museums guard.

During the summer, I worked in a small café near the Baltic sea. The cultural experience was enhancing; I met so many Germans of all ages and backgrounds, and learned how they think and interact over serving them coffee and German cakes and pies.

Before I could move on to a different country, I needed closure with my own. Finding my roots again definitely gave me a great understanding on how the Western world works in contrast to the developing world. Having experienced both sides, I am now eager to pursue my education enthusiastically and try to combine the positive things from both worlds to make it one.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

You state "After High School." So this essay is more of a GAP year rather than an interruption. An interruption is a pause DURING high school for example a student was suspended for a semester because of something crazy he or she did. From what you have here, you had no interruption, you just took a GAP year. While the standard is that you apply normally in your senior year and then delay admissions, schools will not be too picky about this. You do not, and should not fill this out. Talk about your gap year experience via the assigned essays. - Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps

Home / Undergraduate / Fiji has taught me; Educational Interruption Explanation - common app