I find the English people very fascinating; People you'd like to know/ GRINNELL SUPP

Rechy 11 / 73  
One of the fascinating qualities of Grinnell College is the diversity of its student body. Grinnell students come from around the world and from innumerable socioeconomic, religious, and cultural backgrounds. What place, people, or culture would you like to get to know better and why? (approximately 250 words)

As a girl who loves exploring almost everything British, I find the English people very fascinating. A feeling of euphoria is bestowed on me when I am immersed in my collections of British historical novels. I mostly find myself being pulled, as an observer, into the world of the characters. From my enormous readings I envisioned the English people not only as people who are friendly and patriotic, but also people who take so much pride in their culture and way of life. And that is the reason why I have an enormous interest in observing and getting to know more about the English people. I was so eager to learn more of the English people that I almost got my enthusiasm killed on my way to realizing this. It all began on a typical Summer Saturday morning. My sister had asked me the previous day if I was interested in meeting up with some British girls who were friends with her old mates. In that moment all I could think of was how great of an opportunity that would be and I said yes with no hesitation. All seemed to be going on well enough until the arrival of the English girls. They were the complete opposite of the people I envisioned the English people to be: rude, arrogant and egoistic. I began to see to the reason why the English people are being stereotyped as rude, arrogant and was no different from those who see the English People only in light of their egoistic behaviors. But as luck would have it, my second encounter with an English girl, Anne, became my turning point. Consequently, she helped me realize that she just as most of other English people are not to be seen in light of the act of person who seemed to portray her country in a bad way. My encounter and experiences with Anne has helped revitalize my old eagerness to learn more of the English people's culture.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I mostly find myself being pulled, as an observer, into the world of the characters.
This sentence sounds a little awkward. maybe say it like this: As I read about the characters, I feel like an observer being pulled into their world.

From my enormousnumerous readings, I envision the English people not only as people who are friendly and patriotic, but also people who take so much pride in their culture and way of life.

They were the complete opposite of the people I envisioned the English people from the books I'd readto be : rude, arrogant and egotistical .

I began to see to the reasonunderstand why the English people are being stereotyped as rude, arrogant (find synonyms for these words, so you don't repeat yourself) and was no different from those whoseeI judged the English People only in light of their egoistic behaviors.

But as luck would have it, my second encounter with an English girl, Anne, became my turning point.
I think that turning point is not the right phrase for this sentence, you mean that your judgement about english people was based on one single experience, and that Anne helped you realize that english people are more like the one you had always imagined.

Home / Undergraduate / I find the English people very fascinating; People you'd like to know/ GRINNELL SUPP