"I find truth in those wise words of Napoleon"; SOP Civil Engineering in Australia

Amir Moavia 1 / 3  
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Napoleon once said, "There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to possess it," and I strongly believe in these words. However, I came to know the truth of this statement in the ninth grade, when I had to make a major choice for the first time. My decision resulted in Math and Physics becoming my majors. However, one of teacher asked me, "Why not Biology?" My response, "But I like to build things", though adequate at that moment, did not tell the whole story. Had I prepared for that kind of question, perhaps I could have told him more precisely, "I would like to figure out better ways of building things." But my answer served its purpose, and Math and Physics became my major subjects.

During my school days, I was a brilliant student and completely devoted to my studies. My seriousness towards studies is depicted by the high grades I have achieved, which continued throughout my educational career. As a student, I believe that there is always a room for improvement, and I have certainly improved over the past few years. Throughout my educational career, I was an active student and I have participated in extracurricular activities and events such as Kangaroo International Math Competition, Inter Bahria School Quiz Competition, Science Fair, and intercollegiate tennis and cricket competitions. Some of my hobbies are reading the newspaper, and listening to music.

My personality was greatly influenced by my father. He is lawyer by profession, my father is a man of principle and a great fan of Abraham Maslow. He often quotes his saying, "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." It is my father's dream that I receive a quality education. The motivations to achieve my goals were always given to me by my father. Right now, my life's goal is to get the best education I can, and I am willing to sacrifice everything to achieve that goal.

After college, I started to apply to different universities in Pakistan. My goal was to receive a quality education, which was unfortunately not available to that extent that I wanted. However, I was admitted in some universities, but I was not interested in the fields I was given, and even after many attempts it was not working out. Napoleon's quote on my mind, I decided not to take admission. After that, considering my interest in construction, I joined a construction project just to enhance my knowledge about construction procedures.

There had always been a burning question in my mind, "Why do I love building things?" Moreover, my basic interest during my educational carrier was reading different articles on making of buildings like Shanghai World Financial Center and watching documentaries like the making of Burj Dubai on internet. I was inspired by the work of those engineers. Their designs were so accurate and modern. From then on it became my hobby to educate myself on construction and architecture, as well as reading many articles on architectural development. I also visited some architectural news sites during my studies. I started to notice that my interest and hobbies were actually pulling me towards the carrier I wanted to pursue: Civil Engineering.

Considering my huge interest in a quality education and Civil engineering, my father allowed me to go abroad and study. When I founded out about Australia's world-renowned quality of education, and that it offers opportunity to everyone who is talented, it became my dream to study there.

We live in an ever-changing world of engineering and technology, where each new day sees a spate of new concepts and applications and each passing day makes them obsolete. I want to attain the highest level of education and transcend new horizons in my chosen field. The vast potential for a career in civil engineering has always fascinated me and I am keen to continue my academic pursuits in this field. Civil Engineering is the only field where one's work can be seen and felt directly by the senses, where all creations last forever. I feel that this field that requires a lot of patience, perseverance, and management skills. These are qualities which need to be nurtured with lot of motivation and hard work, and your university seems to me a perfect place to excel in this field. I came across the good reputation of your university, and there is definitely a chance for me to get a quality and affordable education at your university.

Having made this statement of my objectives, it is my belief that what your university looks for, in a prospective student, a strong academic background and the will to perform and deliver. An extremely distinguished faculty, a milieu replete with academic activity, and the state-of-the-art civil engineering research facilities are the most important factors that motivated me to choose your university. All knowledge is in the human mind; it requires only an awakening. Since I strongly believe that your university would be an ideal place for me to pursue my undergraduate studies, I wish to enhance my knowledge by joining your university.

Applying to Xxx University made me feel proud, and I look forward to studying here. xxx university has a worldwide reputation in Engineering and especially in Civil Engineering. Additionally, with students from all over the world, it would be a great chance for me to learn in a friendly environment. Moreover, I have chosen Perth as my preferred city because it has been voted as the world's friendliest city by US Leisure and Travel 2002.

The more I grow as a student, the more I find truth in those wise words of Napoleon. Without a definiteness of purpose, life is just an out-of-focus canvas. I believe that my purpose in life to receive a good education can be achieved if I am given a chance to accomplish my dreams.

SIR I END THIS WITH A SPECIAL REQUEST THAT, DUE TO SOME ISSUES I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THREE DAYS MORE TO SUBMIT THIS SOP BY THE UNIVERSITY OFFICIALS ON REQUESTING. SO PLZZ KINDLY I HAVE GONE THROUGH IT COMPLETELY AGAIN AND DONE SOME CORRECTIONS AND ORGANISED THE PARAS AS YOU MENTIONED SO I WOULD BE GREATFULL TO YOU IF YOU GIVE A GOOD LOOK AT THIS MODIFIED SOP AS I AM GOIING TO SUBMIT THIS NEW ONE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE>> YOUR HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED.... :)
and I have a strongly believe onin it

...and I strongly believe in these words.

somehow noticed that my interest and hobbies were actually drifting me towards a carrier I am pursuing, when, after metrics exams a teacher asked me are you going to change your major subjects in college, My response, "But I like to build things", though accurate at that moment, did not tell the whole story.

I think you better improve the presentation of this idea.... This line is a bit too long and not properly organized. Better break it up to two sentences.

It started to became clear to me when a friend asked me, " Shouldn't we pursue what we dreamed of and go for a carrier that fits our liking "and I had a flash back in my mind that it was all started during my 9th grade when I read the making of Shanghai world financial center and watched the making video of Burj Dubai on internet and I was so inspired the way those Engineers really did it. It was so accurate and edge of engineering

... this again is pretty too long.... That disturbs your flow and presentation; also, the reader need to keep memorizing things. And the part I highlighted, I feel you are repeating that idea a bit too much. Similar things were said in your earlier paras too.
OP Amir Moavia 1 / 3  
possible corrections as you suggested; plz give a look and comment i need to submit it within two days

...I somehow noticed that my interest and hobbies were actually drifting me towards a carrier I am pursuing. After my matric exams one of my teacher asked me are you going to change your major subjects in college, and my response was, "But I like to build things", though adequate at that moment, did not tell the whole story. Had I prepared for that kind of question, Perhaps I could have told him more precisely, "I would like to figure out how to build things better". But it served the purpose and Math, Physics were again my major subjects and I got admission in F.Sc (Pre. Engineering). Afterward, I realize that I would prefer Civil Engineering as my Undergraduate course as it would suit my purpose and can help me to achieve my goal of being a Construction engineer in future

...My basic interest in civil engineering field was developed during my 9th grade when I read an article about making of the Shanghai World Financial Center and watched documentary about the making of Burj Dubai on internet and I was so inspired the way those Engineers really did it. It was so accurate and edge of engineering. Onward, I used to gather the Know how of construction and architecture, read many articles on architectural development. I used to visit world architectural news sites during my studies.

some other changes
....After my college I started to apply in different universities in Pakistan, my basic goal was to achieve quality education which was unfortunately not available to that extent in Pakistan, I got admission in one or two universities but I was not interested in the fields I was given the admission, So I decided not to take admission and keep on trying for other universities. As a matter of fact I was not satisfied by the education standards here and that one particular quote of Napoleon was always in my mind. After my college, considering my interest in Civil engineering, I got involved in a construction project just to enhance some know how about construction procedures. So considering my huge interest in quality education and the particular civil engineering field my father allowed me to go abroad and study. Considering in mind the world renowned quality education in Australia, it became my first preference.

....The more I grow as a student, the more I find truth in those wise words of Napoleon because I think without a definiteness of purpose; life is just like it's out focused canvas. And I believe that my purpose of life (i.e. education) can be achieved if I am given a chance to accomplish my dreams. This Chinese proverb explains my enthusiasm, "Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll Understand"

plz reply me as i have to submit it within two days and plzz can you comment wheather my rest of the SOP is ok or not or it need some revisions i am glad to hear from you
OP Amir Moavia 1 / 3  
some other changing

Napoleon said," There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to possess it", and I strongly believe in these words. However, I came across this phenomenon practically during my 9th grade, when I was given a chance to choose a direction for the first time, which resulted as Math, and Physics as my major subjects. There was always a burning question in my mind why I love integrating things and building them up again?
OP Amir Moavia 1 / 3  
brother your suggestions were very much helpful, thank for the reply and a night before I was thinking the same i.e. to be a little direct in my approach so was thiking to rewrite it nd I was thinking how,

your suggestion had given me many ideas to do it now... I let you know as soon I am done with I will post tomorrow inshaAllah with the some corrections you mentioned.

Home / Undergraduate / "I find truth in those wise words of Napoleon"; SOP Civil Engineering in Australia