Finding an Identity (SCAD Statement of Purpose 1st Draft)

ChibiRobo 1 / 5  
Hi everyone. This is my statement of purpose for Savannah College of Art and Design's BFA Illustration program. My grades weren't exactly stellar, so I'm hoping to make up for it through this and an amazing portfolio. I could use all the help I can get. Thanks for taking the time to read and state your opinion. I realize I went over the word count, si if anyone can give some suggestions on how to cut it down that would be great.

I'm the oldest of four kids, three girls and a boy. That may not seem like that big of a deal, but if I think about it, that is what has been my identity for the past 18 years. It has put me in a variety of different roles, from babysitter, to mediator, to surrogate parent. I have done everything from staying up all night helping with a last minute school project, to explaining why boys are jerks, to even having saved my sisters life. All and all, I have watched my brother and sisters grow up like I am the one who gave birth to them. But as I looked at them grow up, I began to realize that in helping them find their identities, I ended losing my own in the process. I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my own life, because I had been so busy trying to help them figure out theirs. My grades in my first year of college were deplorable, and I had only ended up confusing myself about what I wanted in life. That had to change. I decided that during the first semester of my sophomore year, I would participate in the Disney College Program in Orlando, more than 1000 miles away from home. Not only would this allow me to learn to be independent and find myself, but would allow my family to realize that I would not always be there to help. So in June of 2010, I packed up two suitcases and left for the happiest place on earth.

Doing this internship was one of the toughest things of my life. I don't think I realized when I decided to do this how much work it would be. I worked 40+ hour weeks, had to budget my money for the first time, and as I mentioned before, was on the other side of the country by myself for the first time of my life. There were times where I just would want to break down and cry. But you know what? I loved every minute of it. I made new friends, new mistakes, new memories, but most of all, I made a new me. I discovered the goals that I had been looking for my whole life, and began to develop the identity I was looking for outside of "big sister". By the time I came home in January of 2011, I had a new lease on life, realizing that I could love and take care of my siblings, but that I also needed to take of myself first. I had the beginning of my identity, and from here on it could only get better.

You're probably wondering what my point was. After all, this doesn't answer why I wish to transfer into the Illustration program now does it? But actually, it does. One of the core aspects that appeals to me in SCAD's Illustration program, is that its purpose is to teach students how to translate concepts into tangible images. And that is what I want, the ability to turn something intangible, such as my thoughts and identity, into something concrete, my art. This ability is something I feel is crucial to help me reach my main goal in life, to go back to Disney and work in the Animation or Imagineering studios. I will work hard and strive towards this goal, and feel that Savannah College of Art and Design is the place that will help me reach it.

My sister is graduating high school this year on the honor roll. She plans to go to UCLA and study musical theater. I'm proud of her, and glad I was there to be there for her. I'll be there for my other to siblings when they graduate to. But until then, I'll be there for me, using my art to continue to develop my identity, until the whole world is able to see it. Hopefully this will be the place where it continues. Thank you for taking time to read this.
sab 1 / 3  
Hi... i like your writing a lot... Maybe you should eliminate some phrases in the first paragraph because it is a little bit long...
for ex.: I have done everything from staying up all night helping with a last minute school project, to explaining why boys are jerks, to even having saved my sisters life. ..

but all in all very good :)
OP ChibiRobo 1 / 5  
Thank you. I took out the sentence like you suggested, and it helped shorten it a little more, but I am still having trouble.
OP ChibiRobo 1 / 5  
if anyone else can leave a comment, please do.

Home / Undergraduate / Finding an Identity (SCAD Statement of Purpose 1st Draft)