'fingers on a keyboard' - University of Texas English Undergraduate SOP

somethingawful 1 / -  
I can think of no sound sweeter than the incessant tapping of fingers on a keyboard. The rhythm of letters falling into place, the declarative snap of the space bar and the clacking of the delete key fill my heart with calm and familiarity. It seems strange, sure, but to a man who has spent many hours hunched over a those keys seeking to eek out a playful yarn, a poem or the illusive novel it is the sound of success, of inspiration.

Even as a child I devoured words. In Montessori school I often elected to do little else but sit and read the day through. When I read all the books I turned right back around and read them again. When I aged a bit I taught myself how to navigate my family's first word processor, Lotus Works, on an ancient personal computer. I still remember vividly basking in the blue glow and blinking yellow cursor spinning tales of heroic war veterans, dastardly pirates, and secretive ninjas.

In high school I excelled in my writing courses while ravenously tearing through Salinger, and Fitzgerald. The beauty in math and science was mostly lost on me. My muses were letters. I got drunk on words.

At sixteen I had one of my short stories published in Blood Moon Rising, a magazine that showcases, as one would imagine, horror fiction (Hey, we all go through a Stephen King phase). Walking into the local bookstore and being able to pick up a magazine, and see my name right above an interview with the actor who played Freddy Krueger was one of the greatest highlights of my youth.

When I began my college career at Tallahassee Community College in Tallahassee, Florida I knew that it was going to end in the Liberal Arts area. I begrudgingly completed all my mathematics requirements while taking all of the literature courses the college offered. To fulfill their elective requirements many of my peers chose Judo, or golf, or a film class they mostly slept through. I actually elected to read more books, and write more papers. I took my time during those years. I wasn't in any hurry to just "get the college thing done." I was able to gently balance my job as a supervisor and head cook, my time in a touring rock band, and my studies. I have very fond memories of comparing the Mahabharata and the Ramayana to the Odyssey and the Iliad in the back of tour van.

Once I received my associate's degree, and the lifespan of the band had run it's course so I decided it was time to move from my beloved home town. I fell head-over-heels for Austin and have always had my eyes squarely fixated on the University of Texas. I want to join the pantheon of writers who have stood in her halls. I plan to study English, and continue my imbibing of literature. I want to critique the classics and write my own. Once I receive my bachelors degree I plan on applying to graduate school with the intent to achieve an MFA in Creative Writing. From there I will seek to establish a teaching position. Through the University of Texas at Austin I will continue to shape my own tales while helping other young writers shape theirs.

Just trying to gain a little insight on this. I'm sure there are some grammatical mistakes/weird things in there so please point them out. Thanks non-gender-specific guys!
Freenchy 4 / 26  
I really liked your essay but is the introduction necessary ? I think it was good but isn't it reserved for essays with prompts more than statement of purpose ?

Home / Undergraduate / 'fingers on a keyboard' - University of Texas English Undergraduate SOP