"First an accountant, now an engineer" - Cornell Engineering Supplement

KHuang28 4 / 7  
College of Engineering:
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

At first when I thought about my future I pictured myself as an accountant. I would have my little office and work with numbers day in and day out, and be able to live a comfortable life. Then I thought to myself how much I would enjoy that vocation. Do I really want to sort of waste my intelligence and potential towards a boring everyday routine? I thought to myself, "I'm better than this. I can be something more." I began to look into different fields for my future profession. I want a career that will let me think creatively and outside the box. I put the list of career paths in front of me. I looked up and down the list again and again. Then I saw engineering. I wondered if I could find a cure for cancer or maybe be the next Bill Gates. The ideas flowed through my head. Engineering allows me to take any potential idea and turn it into reality.

As I thought more about engineering, I realized that I grew up with a father who basically raised me to be an engineer. Never in my life have I seen him call a professional to fix anything. When the car broke down, he fixed it. When the computer broke, he fixed it. When he was tired of the carpet in our house, he replaced it with new floor-boarding. I was always by his side every step of the way. At nine, it was not always fun watching him, but as I got older he began teaching me about what, why, and how he was solving these problems. I admired his thought process. It was amazing how he could figure out what was wrong and how to solve such a wide variety of issues. I actually enjoyed using my own knowledge and what my dad taught me to figure out how to fix different situations.

Cornell Engineering, especially, gives me the best opportunities I could have to create something special that could potentially change the world. I realize that Cornell Engineering is reputed as one of the top engineering programs in the USA. Without a doubt, I trust that Cornell Engineering has great facilities and teachers who love to teach. If I am admitted to Cornell's College of Engineering I would take full advantage of the doors it would open.

Looking back, I was raised around engineering by my father. With this experience I know that engineering is not only a career, but also a life skill that will help me solve everyday problems. Most importantly, it is a tool that can help people around the whole world. If I work hard enough to make one discovery, even just one, it could save millions of lives. That motivation alone is strong enough to drive me to accomplish something special. Cornell Engineering will give me great opportunities to accomplish these goals.
Vbalandina 2 / 17  
First of all you have the same problem as everyone of us- too many "I" sentences, try to vary the sentence structure!

Do I really want to sort of waste my intelligence and potential towards a boring everyday routine? I thought to myself, "I'm better than this.

This sentence sounds a bit offensive) ]

I wondered if I could find a cure for cancer or maybeperhaps be the next Bill Gates.

I realize that Cornell Engineering is reputed as one of the top engineering programs in the USA. Without a doubt, I trust that Cornell Engineering has great facilities and teachers who love to teach. If I am admitted to Cornell's College of Engineering I would take full advantage of the doors it would open.

I think that the AO already knows this general statements, be more specific

Looking back, I was raised around engineering by my father.

REPETITION

Home / Undergraduate / "First an accountant, now an engineer" - Cornell Engineering Supplement