"I am a first generation college student" ; TRANSFER Objectives

jessmanalang 1 / -  
Why do you want to Transfer and what objectives do you hope to achieve?
it is sent to all the schools, so I can't be specific
any editing??

When I applied to colleges as a high school student, I had little idea of where I wanted to go or what I wanted to accomplish. I am a first generation college student, and therefore my parents could offer me little advice. My mother and I were learning how to do the college research and application process at the same time, and my father's primary concern was the financial aspect. Admittedly, my starting point was later than most of my peers and therefore, I rushed into applications and decisions. I was unsure how to start the process and with little help or advice, I felt overwhelmed and hesitant. Deadlines were approaching, and I picked three schools based on name and rushed myself into applying. As a result, I was denied from two and waitlisted at the other. I then realized the mistake in picking a school for its popularity and not taking the time to consider what the school had to offer. From there, I spent many hours with my counselor discussing the prospects of other schools and I applied to five more schools. In the end, I was admitted into three schools and I finally felt like I had some control over my future.

Even though I was able to chose where I wanted to go, I still felt I could have done better. I want to transfer now because I feel more established as a student and capable of directing my future. I have now taken the time and the consideration to look at schools that are best suited for my interests, such as a small college atmosphere and a reputable psychology department. This time, I am in control of the application process because I know what I want and what I have to do to get it.

I wish to transfer, mostly because I seek a greater challenge. Currently, I do work hard and it has paid off but in the end I wish to challenge myself more and I believe I can obtain that through a transfer. Since last year I have taken much consideration and time to choose which schools can provide greater opportunities and challenges that I want and need to obtain a successful education; the opportunity to learn through the diversity and wider selection within the psychology department, and the challenge that comes with the prestigious reputation of each school.

I also sought variety when I considered schools; I wish to transfer to a school that can offer variety both academically and socially, academically with the larger psychology department and socially with the size of the school. I believe variety is important, especially in a broad major such as psychology, for it will help me narrow down a specific area that I wish to further study. Social variety can provide much opportunity to find my place in a larger school.

Another factor I wish to achieve from a transfer is control. Last year I felt I had little control of where I could go. My options were limited and I was forced to choose; therefore, there options were not what were best suited for me and my major. Now with proper time and management I can give myself the choice.

Finally, College was completely unknown to me a year ago but now I have a successful first semester done and ready to start the next. Unfortunately, I don't envision myself graduating from my current university because the only factor I have become a part of is my studies, I haven't found any place where I feel comfortable and included, but with the size of my university options are limited. The universities I am applying to have an enthusiasm spirit that comes with pride. Each has a community of students who have taken much pride in their work. If admitted, I know I can contribute my own enthusiastic pride for the school and my work. Although my current university wasn't my ultimate choice I have made the best of it and it has helped me to know what to expect from college and what I wish to obtain from a transfer. I am confident in my decision for each of these schools because each can offer me challenges, opportunities, variety, control, and a chance to have a more productive college experience.
Admittedly, my starting point was later than most of my peers, and therefore I rushed into applications and decisions. ------I moved a comma in this sentence.

I was unsure about how to start the process, so with little help or advice (you already explained this) I felt overwhelmed and hesitant. Deadlines were approaching, and I picked three schools based on superficial attributes a nd rushed myself into applying. As a result, I was denied by two and wait-listed by the other.

This iss excellent right up until this part:
I also sought variety when I considered schools; I wish to transfer to a school that can offer variety both academically and socially, academically with the larger psychology department and...

I think that is the part where it becomes sort of general and uninteresting. When you get half way hrough the essay, you have established that you have new perspective this time around, and so it is time to spend the 2nd half of the essay explaining your meaningful plan -- the contribution you would like to make to your chosen field. Mention articles you have read and concepts that are close to your heart. Mention the goals that are most important to you in the second half of this.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "I am a first generation college student" ; TRANSFER Objectives