First-generation Somali-American - STANFORD-WHAT MATTERS TO YOU , AND WHY?

Hass95 2 / 6 1  
late notice, any suggestions would be appreciated!!

What matters to you , and why? 250 word limit

Everyone is patriotic towards one thing or another, whether it may be a sports team or a country. Out of the many things that matter to me, and make me who I am; Somalia is most important. It is integral to my identity, and a product of all things that hold value to me.

Born as a first-generation Somali-American to emigrant parents that fled their beloved home in the midst of a violent civil war outbreak. They often told me of their small villages in the beautiful outskirts surrounding the big cities. They recalled how the shade of the brown tile patterned designs on the buildings of homes complimented the clear, almost marble-like ocean. The stories they told about their youth living in a Somalia not many will ever know, were bittersweet.

Now, because I want my mother to return to her sisters someday and my uncle who works for minimum wage at a newsstand to return to his job as a college professor; I envision a brighter day to come for Somalia. I carry hope that someday my grandfather will stop having to work at 76 years old, with his unbearable arthritis at a gas station in order to restore his dignity in Somalia as a commanding general for the army.

I dream for there to be a home for the displaced Somalian refugees, a population consisting of almost half-a-million in east Africa alone; living in neighboring countries. Lastly, I envision peace in the future of my motherland.
BilboLinda 3 / 6 2  
I really like your essay. I can see that you are passionate about your roots and your family. Maybe add something tho, I have this weird feeling that it's missing something. Like you merely state that you want a better Somalia for your mother and uncle and grandfather yet what will you do in efforts to bring that about.

Just a thought.
GOOD LUCK THOUGH!!

Home / Undergraduate / First-generation Somali-American - STANFORD-WHAT MATTERS TO YOU , AND WHY?