'my first pair of glasses' - Common app essay: Topic of your choice

jes618 1 / 2  
Hi! I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone can give about this essay. Thank you!

In fifth grade, when I received my first pair of glasses, I became aware of the world. Objects no longer glowed in blurry auras; they poked and prodded with sharp angles. Sometimes, I took my glasses off to quickly put them back on and watch the world transform. They gave me the ability to read the board in class, but more importantly, they gave me perspective. The realization the world was different than what I was accustomed to left me feeling somewhere between betrayed and fascinated. It must have been that moment and that realization which allowed me to consider the world with the careful observation and thought I use now.

In thinking about my particular experience, I've become intrigued by a similar situation involving disproportions between perspectives, the differences in color perception between species. During my junior year, I was enrolled in AP Biology. We shifted perspective from microscopic organisms to ecosystems throughout the year, and I loved every single last detail of it. Near the end, we briefly touched on the human eye and vision. I was stunned to find our eyes contain only three different types of color receptors for hue perception. To me, our complex world was too intricate to be seen with just three receptors. Could all of the colors in the world really be expressed with three simple receptors, or did it take something more?

Just before my senior year, I found an answer in a species called the mantis shrimp. This creature has not three, but sixteen color receptors. It has the ability to perceive colors I can't even name. I was amazed to find something so seemingly simple, something I had overlooked for my entire life, to carry such complexity. Considering this, I felt the familiar tug of simultaneous betrayal and fascination, and I wondered-what colors make up the world? Clearly not the limited range of human colors, for there would be no need for the mantis shrimp to have sixteen cones if that was the case. But, is there perhaps an infinite existence of color extending beyond a mantis shrimp's vision?

My ability to answer this question is where I come out ahead of the mantis shrimp. Answers to this and other questions related to natural life are found in the field of science. I admire science for its ability to flip and rotate the familiar until it reaches a point where it becomes almost unrecognizable; the point at which the audience feels betrayal and fascination, all at once. I want to breathe this feeling, to soak in it through investigation after investigation. I seek a career of science, a lifelong quest for answers and for more questions. Awaiting this lifetime reward, I pay close attention to detail and observe with awareness in the hope of the feeling of betrayal and fascination: the feeling of being on the cusp of discovery.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) Your essay is great! I love how unique and interesting it is. I have a few suggestions on word changes that you may want to make.

Sometimes, I took my glasses off,toand then quickly put them back on andso that I could watch the world transform.

The realization that the world was different than what I was accustomed to left me feeling somewhere between betrayed and fascinated.

It must have beenAt that moment,and that realizationI gained a new perspective, which allowed me to consider the world with the careful observation and thought I use now.

In thinking aboutRegarding my particularunique experience, I've become intrigued by a similar situation involving disproportions between perspectives, the differences in color perception between species.
sidney007 4 / 10 3  
Hi!!
Your essay is great!! I appreciate the structure.You have conveyed your message very well.Try making the language a little more simpler.Some sentences just sound a little too flowery,such as

I want to breathe this feeling, to soak in it through investigation after investigation. .

It would be great if in the last para you write about how in some way or the other your understanding( knowledge that you will gain during your course) will benefit the university.

Remember!! In the university it is a give-take relationship so the admission officers are always looking for what you would be giving the university in return.
OP jes618 1 / 2  
Thank you! Your suggestions are very helpful!(:

Home / Undergraduate / 'my first pair of glasses' - Common app essay: Topic of your choice