'First performance in front of the parents' - My University of Washington essay

kirsty861122 1 / -  
The University of Washington seeks to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints. How would you contribute to this community?

I detested it. Going to the Guzheng class every Saturday afternoon was probably the thing I hated most when I was 7 years old. Sitting quietly among dozens of girls made me feel like I was a clown. How could a boy do this girl's work? I should play the toy plane or train with my friends outside. This abhorrence clearly showed in the way I did my steps. My mother was exasperated and my father would ask her to be patient. "He will love it," Dad said without any hesitation: "He grew up in our CDs shop, how could he dislike it?" So these Saturday classes continued for a few years, without any expectations from anyone.

Then one day, my class had our first performance in front of all the parents. And me, of course, was not eligible to take part in such a show. Sitting in the auditorium together with my parents and others', I peered at the girls' nimble fingers and the look of ecstasy on their faces. And more importantly, I could see clearly the pride of their family and my parents' envy and loss. "Why am I not performing? We started playing around the same time." I wondered. Slowly, the effort came from my desire to perform alongside them. I started performing in a separate training room where I believed nobody could hear me. I guess that it is where I really started enjoying playing Guzheng. The jumping fingers, wonderful notes and colorful strings transformed me. Every time I started playing, my blundering mood magically got calmed down. I don't remember since when I no longer cared that I was still the only boy in the class. The once boring exercises now turned out to be beautiful music. I started practicing more sincerely and my playing improved significantly. Thus began the actual journey and there has been no looking back since then. No, I did not go to become a superstar or win many prizes, only the level of Certificate of Arts Grade Examination China continuously increased.

My first performance in front of people was that being invited by the community to play in the centre park. I, together with my mom, played a piece of Chinese traditional music called "Mountain Stream". While I was playing, mom performed her floral art beside me. She used those flowers to make a great mountain and rivers, which just echoed the music we played. I was very happy to play for so many people. That moment when I gracefully plucked at the strings, a new character erupts in me. When I play, I play with not only my arms and legs, but with my heart and soul. Without any words, I can express what I am thinking of to all the people. And with the strings, I can touch others' heart. Those are the charm of music, and the deep reason why I am fascinated with it.

Thanks to Guzheng, I have a special way to express myself in front of others; thanks to Guzheng, I am introduced to a new and beautiful world; also thanks to Guzheng, it develops my temperament, musicality, aesthetics standard and cultivation; the most important, thanks to Guzheng, I get the chance to share my music and feelings with others. Maybe you will laugh at what I am skilled in, but I do want to tell you that: "In China, it's not only girls who can play Guzheng! And you'll see it in me! "
AzizZ 2 / 24 1  
I have only one comment i think you should find a specific word for "thing" in the first paragraph
rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
i loved your essay!! not only because i understood everything you said because i also play the guzheng, and im also applying to UW, but also because of how beautifully it was written. although it was well-written, i do suggest that you rewrite the last paragraph. personally, i thought all the "thanking" of the guzheng was a bit repetitive. but overall, you did a great job!

Home / Undergraduate / 'First performance in front of the parents' - My University of Washington essay