First profit/ City & residents/ Chiangmai people; Academic interests/ Why NYU?/ Intrigues?

shadow_master 3 / 4  
Thank you taking your time out to help.

1. NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

I still remember the day when I first sold a product for profit - Batman Sticker Collection. That day triggered this new feeling of excitement within me which has led me to write two business research papers, intern at a multinational company, attain a permanent job at a company and start my own firm. My passion for Business rises from its beauty of the possibilities and its far-ranging effects. I have spent my high school years putting what I learn in my business class to action and acquiring business experience by starting my own company to completing free online courses like 'How to Make a Business Plan' or operations management crash course on Coursera.com and SBA.com. Only at NYU, I will be living in the epicenter of America's economy (if not the world's) while studying under renowned professors such as Menachem Brenner and participating in programs such as the Innovation Venture Fund and NYU Entrepreneurship Challenge which will expand my intellectual horizons, further my knowledge in business and give me experiences which can be found nowhere else. As the MUN President at my school, I know the value of international experience and I look forward to taking advantage of NYU's study abroad programs and global alumni networks.

My passion for business symbolizes my dream to have my own successful firm which is helping push humanity forward, and NYU's liberal arts curriculum will allow me to expand by business and economic horizons as well as my horizons in other fields.

2.academic interests? - New York Campus?

I love how NYU's New York Campus is the city and all its residents are potential friends, advisors and business partners. I like how the university buildings are around Washington Square Park, but the residence halls, for example, are sprawled out thus allowing me to explore this diverse city where opportunities for entrepreneurial pursuits are unparalleled. At NYUNY, I will be able to study with around 39000 exceptional students, collaborate with intellectuals from different fields to launch companies and be nearby global firms, which will help me expand my academic horizons. Being from Bangkok, I am used to living in multicultural, liberal-minded community and at NYC I can feel at home.

3. Why NYU - Shanghai?

China is one of the pillars of the rapidly growing Asian Economy, and Shanghai is one the driving forces behind it. I want to major in Business - specifically Finance and Management and studying in Shanghai will put be in midst of one of the world's most important business cities. At Shanghai, I will be able to study alongside some of the brightest students who share similar passions like me, hone my Mandarin skills, learn about the Chinese culture and be able to manage by business which is based in Bangkok more efficiently. I believe China and India are the future of the Global Economy, as I already have India covered studying in Shanghai will also enable me to cover China as well.

4. What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

It only took a walk through the hill-tribe village on the outskirts of Chiang Mai, Thailand, to make me fall in love with it's people. I was here to build a school, from the money I raised, for the local children as the closest school was an eight kilometer walk through the mountains. The villagers lived in huts with limited to no electricity and water-supply. There was no garbage or human waste disposal method, therefore detritus was everywhere. There was little phone or internet connection thus making outside contact limited. Improvements were promised by all the governments of Thailand - past and present, yet little had been done. It seemed like these villagers had become all but forgotten in a rapidly modernizing country, like a distant past. Yet, midst all their difficulties, the community was one of the happiest and vibrant communities I had seen. Despite the lack of such fundamental things, I was dumbfounded by their equanimity. Their unconditional joy, resilience and their cheerfulness still amazes me. How could families who have so little be so happy? I am

left in awe when I consider how wholeheartedly the community treated us. Even though they had
so little, they taught me one of the most important lessons - to be contented with what I have.

People don't generally associate firms as community helpers or benefactors, but I want to run an organization which with it's economic leverage bring economic benefits to all.
tess94 1 / 4  
Just one remark about your last essay (on what intrigues you):
From what I've read about other college essays, it seems a bit clichĂŠ to talk about how even the impoverished can be happy. I understand that that probably matters a lot to you, but is there anything else you learned from these people that you could talk about?

Also, you say "fall in love with it's people," which is grammatically incorrect--the proper word is "its ," as "it's" is a contraction of "it is."

Aside from those two things, the essay is impressive--it's not every day you see a kid raising money fairly independently to build a school!

Best of luck!!

(Would you be willing to read mine? I'm also applying to NYU, but only to the New York campus!)
hellom 3 / 2  
shadow_master
as I already have India covere d - Explain why you have India "covered" or change the "covered" part and put a more formal word.

I was here . I went there

I really like the essays. Would you be so kind to read mine? Good luck!!

Home / Undergraduate / First profit/ City & residents/ Chiangmai people; Academic interests/ Why NYU?/ Intrigues?