Does this fit the prompt for Pepperdine???

Wrestlingnba 3 / 4  
Pepperdine's essay question: Pepperdine's scholarly community equips students with a liberal arts education anchored in Christian values. Our commitment to integrating faith and learning challenges our students to understand that the gift of knowledge ultimately calls for a life of service. With this commitment in mind, please respond:

Tell us how the integration of faith and learning can prepare you for a life of service, and discuss the impact service-learning can have on the renewing of your mind, spirit, and community

By studying United States History, I discovered my love of politics. I was so captivated by the historical concepts that I enrolled in a political science course at a local community college. Nevertheless, my thirst for politics couldn't be quenched within a classroom. I desired to gain some hands on experience in the realms of politics, so I applied for an internship with State Senator Alan Lowenthal last summer.

My experiences in U.S. History gave me more than what any letter grade could offer. I took the class with the intentions of bolstering my GPA. As the year progressed, I began to understand that the class wasn't about the letter grade, but rather about comprehending the struggles endured by the men and women, who sought to reform society for posterity. I remember learning about the women's rights movement and the civil rights movement and how each movement, respectively, brought positive changes to America.

Initially, I had doubts about my ability, but eventually a Senator's staff member interviewed me and awarded me the intern position. With this opportunity, I no longer was just reading about making changes in society, I was on the front lines. At first, I only filed papers and faxed messages to the senator, but later I partook in more significant tasks. I listened to people discuss their problems and was able to understand the processes used to address these issues. Many people who were concerned or confused about the healthcare proposal inundated our office with phone calls. I witnessed the senator's staff answer questions and advise people on the provisions and consequences of the proposed healthcare plan, even though it is a national issue. Seeing Senator Lowenthal and his staff interact with the public highlighted the responsibilities they have to their constituents. They must appease the public, but concurrently make policy which can benefit society. I, too, was able to counsel people about their problems, helping them alleviate their troubles. I answered phone calls regarding California budget issues, because I had done research on the matter. I acknowledged that the political process isn't completely immune to corrupting influences and that the mechanisms of progress work slowly. I understand that some problems won't always have clear solutions and that there will always be angry constituents, but I recognize the advancements that can be achieved.

The staff at the Senator's office entrusted me with writing a memo about the City of Lakewood. Eagerly, I researched the demographics and participated in an interview with the assistant manager. I drafted a memo that was concise yet, not lacking in the quality of information. It was an indescribable feeling to see the senator use it as an address to his constituents.

I'm fortunate to have acquired knowledge about prominent events in United States history. That very knowledge and experience has opened my eyes of how I have and positively will impact society.
caisson22 5 / 16  
No you have to talk about how getting your degree from a religious school will affect your life of service to the world and the lord. It says "intergration of faith" they're a catholic school I believe so that's what they're talking about
Initially, I had doubts about my ability, but eventually a Senator's staff member

I think it would be worth it to name the Senator here, just to add interest and detail to the essay.

I notice that you did not mention faith in the essay and you did not mention service. The challenge was to explain how the integration of faith and learning can prepare you for a life of service, and discuss the impact service-learning can have on the renewing of your mind, spirit, and community. I think you were too indirect about answering this question. This is to much narrative and not enough answering their question.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Does this fit the prompt for Pepperdine???