FIT Transfer Admissions Essay: Long past in need of guidance!

smorales94 1 / 1  
I recently applied to The Fashion Institute of Technology and unfortunately, the deadline has passed a while ago. However, upon speaking with admissions, they encouraged me to still apply and get everything in as soon as possible. I need some help when it comes to my essay, more for the grammar errors I'm sure I've made. I also have about 100 words to spare. Please feel free to submit any opinions or corrections. Thanks in advanced!

Your essay should answer the following questions: What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? The essay is also your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments. (No more than 750 words, please.)

"My goal is not to wake up at forty with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate, because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens."

Before coming across this quote from the late 90's cartoon show Daria, I sat and pondered everyday contemplating what direction was my life heading in. The societal pressure of choosing a major that would lead to a financially stable career is one that haunts most of my generation. "Okay", I thought, "Nursing is ideal...or maybe Computer Science...Biology for sure." However, the largest factor I failed to neglect was my happiness.

My peers surely had it figured out for themselves. Then there was me: an undecided college student in her second year with a GPA anchored down by her first semester due to a disruptive period in her household.

It wasn't until not too long ago, while watching Daria re-runs, that my indecisiveness would come to a screeching halt. After hearing these words, I questioned myself: Why am I aiming to pursue majors that will not satisfy my creativity and happiness in the long run? At that epiphanic moment, I threw out all possibilities of pursuing what I was sure would bore me and analyzed what I was passionate about.

I enjoy making everything in my surroundings visually stimulating. In every part-time position I had, I made it my mission to approach everything creatively without being asked: At daycares and summer camps I enjoyed arts & crafts more than the kids did. As a youth corps member at the Highline, my manager praised me for my ability to arrange our weekly events in an appealing manner that would attract more visitors and display professionalism. This ultimately led to an opportunity for a temporary design internship alongside the Highline's Director of Design and Construction in which I learned how to create signage for upcoming events using Adobe InDesign. Several months later, I became a part of a retail setting for Hollister. I soon became aware of the creative strategies to successfully communicate to consumers through marketing. Every detail, from the concept to the consumers, fascinated me.

It then occurred to me what else I felt strongly about: fashion. It was something that came naturally, especially as a New Yorker surrounded by the greatest influences. Being nominated for best dressed in high school reassured me that I wasn't bad at it, and a career in fashion always sat at the back of my mind. However, I never fully explored my options up until that awakening moment. The first thought to arise in my mind was to transfer to a school that can provide something that my current school could not and a place that could fully encompass my dreams: The Fashion Institute of Technology. Combining my interests led me to choose International Trade and Marketing for the Fashion Industries as a major. For the first time ever, deciding on a major did not leave me second guessing my choice.

Being passionate about fashion is not what makes me the perfect candidate as many might say, however, my willingness and dedication to learning this industry inside-out is. To finally find a major that has awakened a desire that not many have is extraordinary. Only FIT can act as my ladder to reach the place where I want to be. The vision I have cannot be properly executed without it. Since FIT is essential to my carrying out my goal of becoming a marketing director of a fashion company, I will never hesitate to put my heart towards pursing this degree. Many successful candidates can say they take pride in attending FIT, however, someday I dream to proudly carry the title of FIT Alumni beyond the walls of my classes and beyond the years of my graduation.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Before coming across this quote from the late 90's cartoon show Daria, I sat and pondered everyday contemplating what direction was my life heading in.

The quote you have presented doesn't need to be supported with too much details. It just needs a brief opinion as part of your introduction and then state your main topic. Your introduction is merely focused on the quote ( supposedly just a springboard towards your thesis) which just ignores your prompt. Introduce your topic clearly or be consistent with the essay question. Don't start by introducing something out of the topic.
OP smorales94 1 / 1  
Thank you for the input! How can I still use this quote without going too off-topic? After all, it is what helped me figure out why I want to apply to that major.

Home / Undergraduate / FIT Transfer Admissions Essay: Long past in need of guidance!