'a very fitting school academically and socially for me' - Georgia Tech Supplemental Essay

ExtraRicePlz 1 / -  
Beyond rankings, location, and athletics, why are you interested in attending Georgia Tech? (max 150 words)

problem based learning

Georgia Tech is a very fitting school academically and socially for me. The school's engineering is taught mostly through problem based learning which suits my learning preference. Problem based learning incorporates real world problems that challenges individuals and sometimes requires a large amount of time just on one problem. This way of teaching has always been the most effective way for me to learn and also reassures me that everything I learn inside the classroom can be applied in real world applications and hopefully into my future job. Socially, Georgia Tech has a student body that knows how to have a good time off campus while also being conscious about their academic responsibilities the following day. I am the type of student that has always put their academics in front of their social life but I know when to let loose sometimes in order to relieve stress.
agoldie 3 / 5 2  
"can be applied in real world applications" is a bit redundant. Perhaps, "will be applicable in the 'real world'"?

take out "hopefully into my future job". If you know what you want to do, say it. If not, "and into my future career". Job has a funky connotation in my opinion, but I could be reading too deeply.

you sound like you're looking for a party school when you discuss the social aspect of G Tech. You don't sound like a serious student at all ESPECIALLY "let loose sometimes in order to relieve stress". Cross that, discuss how valuable you find socializing with others to be. Maybe how much you learn about a person in casual conversation. How you have a great sense of humor and are able to liven any crowd up. Anything BUT "good time off campus" and "but I know when to let loose...".

My $.02
Jason, I believe that your essay is highly informative in terms of what attracts you to the university. The fact that you declared the title of your response as "Problem Based Learning" already speaks volumes about your reasons for applying for admission. If you can, please offer an example of how you used problem based learning in the past in order to better illustrate the reason as to why you believe that this teaching method is a good reason for your interest in Georgia Tech. This is a unique essay in the sense that your approach is not one that looks at the more common reasons for the "fit" with the university. Your discussion about how the balance of study and relaxing is represented in the university and your personality is also a good answer. It shows how serious you are about your studies, but that you also recognize the need to kick back and relax on campus at certain times.

Home / Undergraduate / 'a very fitting school academically and socially for me' - Georgia Tech Supplemental Essay