"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" - Most Meaningful Book - Columbia

aakash988 4 / 6  
Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.

"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom is an outstanding and heartwarming novel in which the author provokes strong sentiment in his readers while instilling a moral within every chapter. 

The protagonist of the story, Eddie, encounters five people in heaven whose lives he has influenced. In one scene, Eddie meets a man who sacrificed his own life in order to save Eddie's. Because Eddie was too young to understand what had happened at that point in time, he was never able to acknowledge the Blue man for his heroic deed. Reading this scene made me both melancholy and reflective. The pleasures we find in life often cause our surroundings to be neglected; the people who may seem to just pass by may actually provide us with the greatest simplicities of life.

By provoking these thoughts, Mitch Albom changed the way I viewed the people around me. Surely people have affected my life positively in ways I am unaware of and to never credit them for their generosity is impertinent. In fact, these thoughts provide the wiring which connect the morals of the book to my own existence. This brilliant literary work captures the essence of the unexamined aspects of life, something only a handful of authors have accomplished.
Pradodiana1 3 / 17  
I like what you are saying, however I find myself getting lost a little bit. I want to know more about YOU not so much about the book.

Maybe you would get your message across more efficiently by being less vague. Instead of saying "changed the way I viewed the people around me" you could say, "made me view people with more----" or "helped me realize that strangers----". I am sure you have great personal qualities and that reading this book truly affected your values and morals, but I would like to get a little more on WHICH values and WHICH morals instead of just knowing it changed you. You might have to cut out the first sentence where you are describing the book, they want to know about YOU and how amazing YOU are, not about how amazing the book is. Here's one way to think about it: if you show them how awesome you are and the great values this book taught you, they'll understand that it was a good book.

hope this helps!
please take a look at mine!
pinkcheetah 2 / 13  
I like what you say here, but I find it a little superficial. It strikes me as something that anyone could have written. I think that you'd be much better off including some, even if it's only one, personal details to show how it specifically impacted or connected to you. Especially the first sentence, it reads like a book review. Try to think of the assignment as asking you to respond to the novel.

In fact, these thoughts provide the wiring which connect the morals of the book to my own existence.

Connect a moral to your own existence...and tell them about it!

All this essay needs is a little more personal touch!
Please help me with my essay (below) if you can! It's also due tonight!

Home / Undergraduate / "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" - Most Meaningful Book - Columbia