"fixating on the past" + "sheep brains" - NYU Supplements

lambo448 1 / 2  
Why NYU?

Why not NYU! With the plethora of resources, numerous internships opportunities, and the university's excellent vision and leadership, it is difficult to think of the reasons of why I would not apply to NYU. Located in the best city in the world, NYC, NYU has always been my dream school to attend since my freshman year. Listening to the constant bustling of New York traffic, the frequent honking from the impatient taxi drivers, and feeling dwarfed by the city's numerous skyscrapers has made me feel welcomed and at home. More importantly, understanding the rigor and difficulty of NYU has motivated me further to apply to this school for I am always looking for a challenge. I know that NYU will prepare me with my future plans of pursuing a career in medicine, especially with the guidance and instruction of some of the brightest professors in the country such as William Ruddock and Ned Block. Additionally, NYU's President, John Sexton, has allowed me to become even more interested in applying to this prestigious University. Through his unique vision and dedication to NYU, he has made an influential impact on the entire NYU organization. With portal schools ranging from Abu Dhabi to Shanghai, Sexton's vision is a compelling force and an accurate portrayal of my personality and the drive of pursing my goals. "focusing on the future rather than fixating on the past" (sexton)The global opportunities present new dynamics into the future rather than "fixating on the past," (Sexton) is a more than accurate description of myself as a person.

Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

I love sheep brains. Yes, ever since I've taken over my schools biology club in 10th grade, I've been trying to find ways to expand my interest in anatomy and apply them to the schools biology club. With much patience and determination, I finally had the approval of allowing the dissection of sheep brains to be dissected in the club instead of conveying presentations, or playing movies. By holding dissections for three years, I have developed in interest in science, specifically, medicine. With my involvement in bio club, I have expanded my interests in interning at the pinnacle health community center as wee lass attending the national youth leadership forum on medicine. Since then, I have developed my interest in science and narrowed it down to medicine. With this developed interest, I plan on taking advantage of NYU's pre health program as well as taking the "pre-professional medicine" major as well. With over 200 hours of volunteer involvement at Penn state Hershey hospital as well as Pinnacle health community service hospital, I can confidently say that medicine is my future career and will take advantage of the resources that apply to it. Then, I have accumulated a breadth of experience in medicine which range from my internship at pinnacle health hospital all the way to running my schools biology club. I plan on taking advantage of NYUs numerous internships and opportunities at the college of arts and sciences.

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

"Five more minutes..." I lethargically said to my mother. Some days, getting out of bed seems like futile task. Other days, getting out of bed puts me in a great mood to start the day. The event of waking up in the morning greatly intrigues me. This is a simple routine exercise, but when dissected, portrays a unique theology of my own personality and motives. For example, the quote "early to bed, early to rise" couldn't have been more accurate. What you do in the past reflects what happens to you in the future. This is event is significant to me because it defines some of the aspects of my motivation and myself. I know that what I do in the past will affect my future so in order to prevent an unsatisfying future, I would put 100% effort in the present to achieve the desired outcome, a bright future. Similarly, on days when I wake up grouchy and discontent, I would basically invest my attitude and time into sleeping earlier that day in order to wake up easier the next morning. If, for some instance, I had stayed up all night doing elaborate project or used my time inefficiently, it would affect my future by causing me to wake up later or making it tougher to wake up. In other words, investing will power to the time you want to go to sleep depends on the time you wake up.

I need a lot of help...
THANKS IN ADVANCE
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

You spend the first part of your essay talking about NYU's location in NYC as your primary reason to attend. However, NY C is home to several Universities. Why NYU? Then you go ahead and throw in the fact that NYU has "Portal School." However, you just drop this in without establishing a case behind it. Lastly, you begin your final sentence with an un-capitalized quote from the University's President. This essay needs to be personalized. Chances are thousands of other applicants will write a generic essay as to why they wish to attend NYU. What specifically does NYU offer that makes you want to go there? AAO

Hope This Helps

• Suggested Structure
girlzshu 1 / 5  
for your last essay...does waking up in the morning fall in to the categories in the prompt?
arbrelibre 5 / 27  
Hi Markell! Great essay. You've brought up some very valid points and have a good flow of words. However, I would be cautious about telling the NYU AO what it already knows; i.e. it's in NYC, it's got a plethora of resources, etc. You might want to cut off that little bit about John Sexton and instead focus your attention on why you like William Ruddick (or vice versa). This will make you sound as if you've done your research and have followed so-and-so's career over however many years. You've got great structure is your essay. Other than those little points, I don't see anything that really turns me off.

Mind going over my Feminism essay?

Good luck with getting into NYU!
carochoi 3 / 22  
Overall, great essay. You brought up a lot of points that show that you know exactly what you're going to do at NYU. Just a few things, though...

1) In the second sentence, take the "s" out of "internships". Add that "s" into the sentence "...numerous and diverse internships ". That should be a quick fix!

2) I also agree with the comment above regarding the NYU president. Unless you can show exactly how he has influenced your decision in wanting to attend NYU, that remark isn't quite necessary.

3)The university already knows that the location is a huge factor for most applicants. You can quickly talk about that in two sentences or fewer, and then focus on the school itself. Remember, the prompt is Why NYU, not Why NYC !

Good luck!
It would be great if you can read through my NYU supplements as well. Thanks!
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
I think you kind of just threw out all the facts you know about NYU. I'm glad you're very excited to go there, but it comes off kind of immature. I think you should do some major editing. Why do you admire his vision? What made you decide NYU is your dream school? Stuff like that. Check out mine for NYU if you can. Thanks!
shs1123 2 / 7  
Thank you for the feedback!!! Yeah, i didn't intend this to come off as immature. I will probably delete the quote about john sexton and elaborate on Professor William Ruddick . I will revise this essay and post it this afternoon. In the meantime, could you guys look at my common app essay?
P334243 3 / 14  
I think you should still include a personal reason other than your interest in medicine. Maybe, what specifically about courses at NYC that will allow you to realize your goals, and that sort of thing.

Hope I helped. Now please return the favor, and look over my revised Princeton supplement essay. Thanks, and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "fixating on the past" + "sheep brains" - NYU Supplements