Flagler College: past experience present and future goals

bethany3 1 / -  
Tell us something about your past experiences, present and future goals and how Flagler College fits into these goals. Be sure to stay on topic and write a carefully considered, grammatically correct essay with a minimum of 250 words.

The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations better know as just Rhode Island is the smallest state in the Unites States and yet it has the longest name. Many people can not locate Rhode Island on a map, but my parents somehow decided to uproot our family from Jacksonville, Florida to Rhode Island in 2007. I have always dreamed of traveling around the world but people who call Rhode Island home are born there, live there, and died there never showing any interest in seeing what the rest of the world could possibly have in store. So I knew this was not the place for me, I wanted to pursue a higher education in Florida but I let the fear of failure and leaving my family behind keep me from following my goals in life. After high school I enrolled in a local community college and during my first semester I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's disease. Her death had a profound effect on me, I learned that you never know if you will get another tomorrow so you should live every day like it is your last. In other words, carpe diem. In June, I started to reflect on my decisions in life and became disappointed in myself for letting the fear of failure stop me from achieving my goals. My goal in life is to be able to reflect on my decisions and be proud of the choices I made. I was unhappy with the fact I was still living in Rhode Island simply because i would be without my family. I was also disappointed that I was attending community just because I was afraid of receiving a rejection letter. I decided to do something about it, so in August I moved back to Florida. Even though community college left me questioning whether college was right for me, i am ready to start over. Mashe Arens once said "failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently". Attending Flagler would be a decision i would be proud of and will also give me the experience I was lacking in my prior college experience. Pursuing a history degree surrounded by the rich history and old world beauty that downtown St. Augustine has to offer makes Flagler the ideal college.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

I am not sure that your essay is as strong as it can be. You state that you moved from Florida in 2007 and you hated RI because people there never explore, but then you want to go back to Florida in essence not exploring yourself. Remember, when writing these essays, you need to present a strong argument that can withstand reasonable criticism from the admissions committee. Furthermore, Flagler College is a top College in Florida, you should mention more about the resources at the school and how you will utilize them. - AAO

Hope this helps.

Home / Undergraduate / Flagler College: past experience present and future goals