My flight alone - Common App prompt

Silleth 3 / 10 3  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you
Ring! I quickly opened my eyes to the realization of my tardiness. Still waking up, I struggled to check my luggage and prepare for my flight to Rome. It was still 3AM, yet the house was full of excitement. I bid a heartfelt farewell to everyone as my parents and I made our departure.

"Do you have everything? You don't want to miss your flight," my dad said. The airport was absolutely tumultuous as I searched for my group and delegation leaders. "Three weeks isn't that bad. It will go by faster than a blink of an eye!" my mom proclaimed, trying her best to comfort me. She gave me a teddy bear to accompany me on my journey away from home.

After a very tiresome flight followed by a full on day of activities, we finally got to our hotel. I clenched onto my teddy bear as memories of home flooded my mind. It was the first time I've been away from my family and it was very different. My first night alone with strangers I've never seen was pretty scary. I knew nobody and nobody seemed to know me. All my roommates were so kind and reached out to me. It helped me come out of my shell and I quickly bonded with everyone on the trip.

As we made our way around Mediterranean our knowledge about the different cultures grew. Every city we went to offered a variety of lessons ranging from history to food to even life lessons. Italy's antiquated figures toned my appreciation of history and I grew a fondness of pasta I've never had before. France's artistic flare sparked my imagination and diminished its boundaries and the field day in Assisi taught me that anything could be done with the right mindset.

As the trip nearly came to an end, I had the opportunity to stay with a family in Spain. This two-day event allowed students to live with a family and required everyone to bring a gift to exchange. Everyone was assigned with a person their age to help them absorb the culture. The atmosphere was different from that at home but in a good way. By then I was eager to learn what awaited me in their little town. They returned their eagerness of my own culture and the gifts I had brought. "This is a conch shell from Key West and this is a small golden clock from Vietnam," I announced as I presented the gifts. When it was time to go we bid our farewells and made promises to keep in touch.

Change can be scary sometimes especially away from home. From that trip, I quickly learned to be comfortable in my own skin and be open towards new experiences, especially when diving into different cultures. Everywhere I go, I know I will be ready to embrace the diversity and expand my knowledge. As Donny Miller once said, "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice."
ll931110 7 / 15 3  
I knew nobody and nobody seemed to know me. All my roommates were so kind and reached out to me. It helped me come out of my shell and I quickly bonded with everyone on the trip.

Is that a bit abrupt? How come strangers become friends so easily?

and the field day in Assisi taught me that anything could be done with the right mindset.

I think you can elaborate more about specific influence. For some readers who are not familiar with European food and culture, I'm not sure why these experiences are different.

Overall, this essay is great! It shows your struggle to adapt with new environment and your eagerness to learn new things. Good luck!
OP Silleth 3 / 10 3  
We had met up a couple of times before the actually trip to get comfy with each other. I personally knew two people out of the 41 people on the trip. The delegate leaders also switched our roommates around often so we got acquainted fairly quickly.

And thanks. I'll elaborate and clean up some things.

Home / Undergraduate / My flight alone - Common App prompt