"Focus to see the Light" ; Interior Design/ College Essay

reenbean 1 / -  
Relate your essay topic to your interest in your intended major. (Interior Design)

"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light." - Aristotle Onassis

Through everything I have experienced in my nineteen years of life, art is what has helped me to "focus to see the light." When I was eight years old, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. For more than a year, she fought the disease, eventually beating it into remission. Then in 2006, her doctors discovered that her cancer had come back. At my young ages, I could not fully grasp what she was going through. All I knew was that I wanted her to feel better; to cheer her up, I would decorate her room and draw her pictures. Transforming her room not only cheered her up, but would calm me. Rather than focusing on my fear of not knowing what was happening, I found solice in creating. To me, Interior Design is not simply decorating a room, but creating a space that evokes feeling. There is more to a room than what is on the surface. While functionality and organization are important, a truly amazing room has the ability to make people feel something. The fabrics, textures and colors can make people feel calm, comfortable, or happy. Designing a space that achieves making people feel good is what I love the most about interior design.

(As a child, I would always say that I wanted to be an interior designer when friends would talk about what they wanted to be when they grew up. Getting to express myself in such a personal way attracted me; I could not wait to take people's thoughts and personalities and turn it into a living room, kitchen, bedroom.

During my junior high and high school years, we had a career day. Every year, I would sign up for the Interior Design session, I could never get tired of it. While chef, journalist, and lawyer interested me, I knew that interior design was what I wanted to do with my life.

This past October, I experienced the loss of a classmate. Throughout all of the sorrow, it has taught me not to waste a moment of life. I have learned to actively pursue my goals; becoming an Interior Designer is one of those goals. )

I'm still in the process of writing it, the top part is what I have written and everything in parentheses are pieces I wrote but am unsure if I should/how I should incorporate them. I'm having some trouble putting everything into words. Any help is greatly appreciated.
hshsteven 2 / 3  
Transforming her room not only cheered her up, but would calm me.

but would calm myself as well.
I think the top part is very well-written, especially the part when you mention how you do your design for your mother.
The first paragraph in parentheses is usable which you can add up a little bit in your endings. I don't think you should add anything from the other two because they either seem too general or deviate from your interests and its relationship to your intended major.

Home / Undergraduate / "Focus to see the Light" ; Interior Design/ College Essay