Food science - Cornell CALS/ selection of major

iluvcake2 1 / -  
Prompt:
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences:
How have your interests and related experiences influenced your selection of major?

Instructions:
Please respond to the essay question below (maximum of 500 words) that corresponds to the undergraduate college(s) to which you are applying. If you are utilizing the primary/alternate admission option, you must complete an essay for both colleges; please complete the essays that correspond to your primary and alternate choice.

Throughout life, I have noticed that life like science works dynamically. Whether it's the coordination my family takes to make the bathroom water available for everyone, to the delicate ecosystems filled with symbiotes existing under people's noses. This notion came to life when I started learning about how food spoils. At first, my only knowledge of how food spoils was when I smelled or looked at it. I was and still am somewhat oblivious of the details of what causes food to spoil and better yet, what specific preservatives do to detain degradation. My only source of information at the time was the 5 pages in my chemistry textbook glancing at the food chemistry section I noticed. There had been a 'basic' list of objects, which I could only check off with one or two for partially knowing. The peculiar storage systems of some foods had become illuminated from glances at my textbook.

Milk, bread, and ham were the most important things in the fridge to me and, therefore, were the most closely watched. I smelled the milk once a day to the see if it had soured and would check the moisture and texture of the ham to see if it was still good. I never took the open slice on a loaf of bread because of its lack of moisture. These precautions seemed strange to my family, but, by ensuring these quality control measures, I maintained food preservation in my house.

One day, my mother bought pre sliced packaged ham from the local Costco. I treated it as regular supermarket ham. However, after about a week of sitting in the refrigerator, it had been the same texture, as it had been bought.

This phenomena astounded me, I even asked my mom to buy milk and bread from Costco to see how much longer it lasted than traditional milk. To my amazement, they also lasted longer, but they had different feels. The bread had a different texture, and the milk tasted differently.

I learned that these different changes that were done had an impact on the outcome of food.
I think Cornell's food science program would be an ideal major because it would help me satisfy my desire to create a preservative that puts a pause on degradation while giving it an organic or traditional feel to it.

I'm not sure how i could link the last two paragraphs to make it work. so far word count is 389.
...complete the essays that correspond to your primary and alternate choice. You didn't mention an alternate choice.

This sentence is unclear;
There had been a 'basic' list of objects, which I could only check off with one or two for partially knowing.

However, after about a week of sitting in the refrigerator, it still had the same texture as it had when it was bought.

I learned that these different preservatives usedthat were done had an impact on the outcome of food.

Home / Undergraduate / Food science - Cornell CALS/ selection of major