Forensic science & Chineese ; Cornell Sup/ Intellectual interests

koliva223 4 / 4 2  
This is for the college of arts and sciences. Here's the prompt:
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

My essay (has to be at most 500 words):
The prime suspect of a homicide's alibi was debunked by classifying the insect parts found in his car's tyre treads, which after a biologic identification, their characteristics placed the suspect's whereabouts in the opposite side of the country contrary to his reported alibi. This case expressed the potency of forensics science and science in general. It realized that my intrigue with forensic science began because it encompasses all sciences. My specific interests include computer science, and the role medicine plays in our society. I also seek proficiency in Chinese. Sometimes it feels as if I'm preparing myself for a government job, but it's too early to tell. I would want to explore these interests further within Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences.

In a public policy course in the 10th grade, we discussed that one of the sources of government control and oversight was GPS (Global Positioning System). After learning about its capabilities and limitations, I thought that computer science was a medium that with enough optimism, I could use to its fullest to solve pertinent questions. I also extensively use a cloud-based software called Prezi. I'd like to explore cloud computing as my CS Project. I was surprised to see Assistant Professor, Nate Foster's research focuses which not only consisted of computer science but linguistics as well. These familiar subjects included semantics, type systems, and data synchronization.

I've learned that the extensive Chinese classes are held in the extensive and unique Chinese and Asian-Pacific Studies major, but hopefully with a proactive academic adviser, I would be able to participate in this "intensive" Chinese language training.What strengthened my pursuit in Chinese besides my experience as a student ambassador in Beijing, was my revelation with deciding that medicine was indeed a rightful path for myself as well. "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" consisted of conclusively unsuccessful cultural exchanges that costed a life, and strengthened my pursuit of a language spoken by a large fraction of the world. In the 10th grade, given a book meant for medical students to gain context on social and cultural exchanges within medicine, I learned of a harsh reality that I decided not to shy away from. I would like to broaden the group of people I can use my Chinese with, using Cornell's unique program.

I will use the resources of the College of Arts and Sciences to be involved in interdisciplinary studies to gain insight from my peers. Even as a prospective student looking in, I can tell that the adviser system must be well used, seeing the clean-cut requirements to either switch a major or add on either a major or a minor. Seeing this openness brings hope that there is an easy flow of communication between the student body and the faculty, something that I think is important. If one wants something, they would just have to express their concern. I'm relieved that I would have a voice at Cornell University. (493 words)
tonton2college 3 / 7 1  
I like it; it's unique and shows a lot about who you are and what you inspire to be!
However, I think you tried mentioning a lot of things at once. I see that you mentioned medicine, chinese, biology, some kind of crime investigation...? Is there a major you wanna focus on, or did you apply undecided?

I am applying to Cornell as well, CALS, and I've posted my essay on the forum, you can check it out if you have time;)

Home / Undergraduate / Forensic science & Chineese ; Cornell Sup/ Intellectual interests