Fort Lee school, Rutgers undergraduate essay

mbhong 2 / 3  
Topic: Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment?

Fort Lee is a gateway to New York, one of the major cities in the world. My family settled in this unique town which has a broad range of people. Unlike schools in Korea, ethnic diversity at Fort Lee school prevented me from being conspicuous and made the "blending-in process" much easier.

A few months later, school initiated "International Food Day" to give students opportunities to enjoy its diversity and learned other culture. I remember assisting my mom by bringing ingredients for "chop suey" and washing dishes. On the evening of "International Food Day", my friends and I, with support from our parents, proudly served our "chop suey" to other people. When all the guests started to eat, one of my Indian friends recommended some Indian foods that we had never seen or tasted before. I hesitated to accept his offer but declining it would be an insult to him and his culture. Therefore, I reluctantly picked up the food and chewed as quickly as possible. Surprisingly, I could not deny its amazing taste even though it looked unappetizing and got over my prejudice against other cultural foods.

Almost all Koreans living in Fort Lee went to church and therefore, naturally, my family also began to attend church. Most people assume that diversity does not exist in groups of the same ethnicity but our youth group, a group of people who could not speak English well, coexisted with "twinkies" who could speak English fluently. To maintain its diversity, the role of leaders was vital. After My predecessor failed to maintain its diversity and left me the burden. During a meeting of youth leaders, I drafted out activities for summer retreat that required interaction between people so that the gap would not exist. We divided into groups randomly and assign group tasks such as to come up with a skit or create a group song. At our retreat, each member always ate with group members but also learned how to embrace each other regardless of language or group.

With all my experiences, I would extend my leadership and treat every individual impartially regardless of ethnicity. Also, by becoming a member of Rutgers Korean Cultural Group, I would participate in any cultural events and help other people to experience Korean culture. The diversity at Rutgers University would make it easy to contact more people of diverse background and share our commonness of culture and interests. Most of all, Rutgers University's vibrant community simulates the real world and therefore, the transition from life in college to life in society would be more smooth.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Make sure you are using proper linking verbs and article adjectives, such as "is," "the," "a," and "are" to maintain structural integrity.

Watch the form of your verbs; for instance "more smooth" should be "smoother."

Home / Undergraduate / Fort Lee school, Rutgers undergraduate essay