'I found it in a dusty corner in the basement of my aunt's house in Chicago' - SYRACUSE APPLICATION

Dedewill 1 / -  
This is my full written application for Syracuse University. Any and all comments are GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!Thanks for the help!!!!

PERSONAL STATEMENT
I found it in a dusty corner in the basement of my aunt's house in Chicago. Its binding was tattered and its front cover had coffee cup rings across the title. Pages were turned down, lines were highlighted and old post-its were crumpled haphazardly in between chapters. The singular word "Wicked" was curved and scripted on the center of the book, which was detailed in dark green coloring. Some might be deterred from the mere sight of the cover - cold black rimmed eyes stared back, screaming of the sinister actions, mayhem and mystery behind the title of the book. It was as if it was daring me to pick it up, and dive headfirst into its fantasy.

Previously, the word "fantasy" would make me cringe due to its intangibility and have me running towards my familiar reality. I preferred to read about things that I could see, not about dragons, witches or any other mythological creatures that run rampant in other children's imagination. But there was something special about the book that had me wondering if my love for realism could be mixed with the fantastical story of the Wicked Witch of the West.

​At ten years old I analyzed everything that caught my curious eyes, always trying to find the rationale behind everything. Consequently, I only read about things that I had personally seen, experienced, or was taught. Back then I felt that my reality-based obsession would allow me to better relate to the characters and become much more invested into the entire plot. While other adolescents raved about Twilight and Harry Potter, due to the characters' ability to sweep the reader to a completely new world, I was turned off by that exact fact. I liked the real world I was in, I understood it, and I only wanted to read about it. In the oft solitude of my teenage years, books quickly became my best friends only if they were a reflection of me. Why would I now try to befriend a moody vampire, when I had the very real characters behind Judy Blume?

​Well, in that moment, my persistence taste for nonfiction trumped my curiosity and I passed on reading Wicked, concluding that if this book was meant for me to read, it would not have been fiction. This mindset followed me until a few years later when I watched Chimamanda Adichie's compelling TED talk of the "Dangers of a single story". Her talk centered on her struggles as an intellectually curious girl growing up in Nigeria, loving to read but was only force-fed Western stories about things that she had never heard about or experienced. Nevertheless, she fell in love with the stories. These Western stories became her single point of reference about the world and her marginalized place in it. As she grew older, she realized that this single story was dangerously incomplete and incapable of empowering her.

I then realized that I too was stuck reading a single story - one that reflected who I was and the world around me and I refused to read about things that I could not see or things that were created from imagination. Thus, I was left ignorant of what other genres had to offer. During the years that followed, my curiosity peaked. In that time, I found my passions in journalism and history, and I have read several fantasy books that went far beyond my comfort zone.

Six years later, I was cleaning my room, when I saw Wicked, the book that previously caused me such anguish. I picked it up and quickly read it, wondering what on earth made my younger self avoid reading this book. Wicked no longer collects dust in my basement, representing my failure, but reminds me every day that looking at things with an open mind can provide some of life's most teachable moments. My next book? Well, I saw "The man in my basement" by Walter Mosley in my father's house. Maybe if I am lucky I can finish it before my freshman year of college.

WHO INFLUENCED YOU TO APPLY TO SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY?
​There was no specific person who influenced me to apply to Syracuse University. After visiting the campus, and attending an informational session in the newly built Newhouse School of Communications, I knew that the University had all I really wanted in my college experience. While in many colleges that I had seen prior did not have broadcast journalism as a major but rather journalism by itself, but Syracuse stood out from the rest. With more research I learned that it is the home to one of the more innovative and renowned broadcast journalism programs in the country. Besides my major the atmosphere and the strong camaraderie of all the students really resonated with me. I always related college with large football games filled with students that were die-hard fans, and who wore their school colors with pride. Syracuse students have all these qualities and more, I would not imagine my college any other way. I would happily wear orange with pride if I were given the opportunity

WHO IS THE PERSON YOU PLAN TO BECOME AT SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY?
If accepted to the University, I plan to grow into a more confident and self-assured women, student, and future broadcast journalist. A person who is not deterred by other peoples criticisms but someone who evolves from them. I believe Syracuse University will give me the foundation to ease my transition from shy adolescent to a young adult that is confident of all her capabilities. The skills learned, and the opportunities gained, will give me an edge when I begin to pursue my goals. I would be able to leave knowing that I was prepared and would never question my abilities when facing any obstacle when pursuing my dreams.
gold42 2 / 5 2  
Oh wow I love these. Your essays are well written and I feel like they give anyone who is reading it some insight to who you are, which is a good thing.

First Question
I was full on grinning by the time I finished this. I liked how you showed your previous beliefs about the unknown and materials that were unfamiliar to you and how that changed as you grew older. I also liked how the conclusion expanded on your new-found beliefs and your vocabulary is also on point.

Second Question
I loved how you talked about various things and opportunities that the University offers and how you also compared it to other schools. My favorite part is where you said, "I would happily wear orange with pride if I were given the opportunity". Genius. I feel like you should talk a little about what you can also offer the University in the classrooms and campus community, though, and not just what they can offer you.

Overall, I loved everything. Good job.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I found it in a dusty corner in the basement of my aunt's house in Chicago' - SYRACUSE APPLICATION