have found no greater pleasure in life than reading a good book; College App

blueyes333 1 / 1  
Here is my unfinished college application essay for U of O about reading/books. Your advise would be greatly appreciated and some helpful tips on what my conclusion should be would be very helpful. Thank you!

I have found no greater pleasure in life than reading a good book. When I am in my room with just a dim light, a quilt, and a beloved book, I feel free. I feel as if nothing in the world could touch me. Reading gives me the wonderful opportunity to let go of my worries by simply cracking open the spine of a book; opening it like a doorway to another world. I can get lost in the musky scent of ink on paper, the crinkle of the pages, and the words that dance across the novel for hours. Reading is my treasured escape from reality.

Unfortunately, in today's society, people don't seem to appreciate books as much as they used to. People seem to be more interested in the new technological advances such as the internet, television, and video games. Rather than stopping to smell the roses by appreciating true literature, teenagers my age would rather spend their time gossiping for endless hours on Facebook. Because of this, our world has become increasingly more illiterate and uneducated. It saddens me to see that books, things that people have fought and died for, are now only looked upon as nothing more than a tedious homework assignment.

This is one of the ways where I differ from the majority of society. Because, unlike most people, I do take time to stop and smell the roses. I appreciate the small traditional things that have always been with us. I can marvel over the beauty of the ocean, gaze up at the constellations for hours, and be in awe over the colors of the sunset. But most of all, I can take time to appreciate the literature all around me.

When you open up a book, you are not just simply reading words printed on paper; you are looking at someone's soul by delving yourself into their personal stories and experiences, almost becoming them. For example, through my reading journeys, I have felt Bella's crushing heartbreak in Twilight, I have been on countless magical adventures in Harry Potter , and I have even traveled back in time and experienced what the 30's were like in To Kill A Mockingbird. The possibilities are endless.
hades98 6 / 39  
*Applause* Very nicely written, nice word choice, good example about smelling the roses. BTW, I agree with your point of view about reading books. The ending is mysterious, and leaves the reader wondering. And let me repeat that this is a wonderful essay with a great organization!

If you have the time, please review my essays:)
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I can get lost for hours in the words that dance across the novel, the musty scent of ink on paper, and the crinkle of the pages.

Because of this, our world has become increasingly more illiterate and uneducated.

It saddens me to see that books, things that people have fought and died for, are now only looked upon as nothing more than a tedious homework assignment.

You make this statement seem like fact... you mean that SOME people view books in this way.

When you open up a book, you are not just simply reading words printed on paper; you are looking at someone's soul by delving yourself into their personal stories and experiences, almost becoming them.

You should re-word this part: ...almost becoming them

Reading so much has shaped you into the person you are. Another great thing about reading books is that each individual has his own interpretation of the story. These stories inspire book clubs and critical reviews, analysis. This kind of analysis leads people to discuss and debate over the many aspects of a story. The discussions people have about books may bond them, and they realize they have something in common. Libraries are wonderful places that have been almost overlooked by the general population- they should be emphasized more now than ever.

I hope these ideas are helpful! Yo have a fine paper so far, and a great topic to write about. Good luck in school!

Home / Undergraduate / have found no greater pleasure in life than reading a good book; College App