At four I played the piano ; Statement of Intent/McGill U/ Schulich School of Music

HeyitsJenn 1 / 2  
Hi all, I'm quite new to this as this is my first statement of intent. Please feel free to leave any critique!! Thanks! (The word count is 2000ch max so i need to filter out around 200 words...help!)

I was four years old, when I was exposed to the world of music, playing the piano. For the longest time, piano was what I wanted to pursue, until the art of singing grasped my interest around two years ago. What fascinates me so much about voice is the fact that the instrument is built inside the musician. Singers are learning how to use their instrument, and at the same time, their instrument is growing as they mature as musicians too. I'm also a big fan of emotion in music because I feel like that is a key factor in what makes a good musician; being able to translate their feelings to music. Technicality is obviously important, however when I see a musician that really enjoys what he/she does, much respect is gained for them. Which is why singing is so intimate and special; What better instrument can convey such emotion than an instrument that is already apart of you?

What drew me to the Schulich school of music was their focus on individual growth and uniqueness. Many places view singers as one accumulation, and often try to mass produce singers; often reinforcing the same technique and sensations upon every individual. Mcgill recognizes that each singer holds a different instrument and nurtures them individually. I also adore the fact that every student will have their same set of examiners for all four years of their studies. This idea really captured me as it shows that every individual will be examined on their personal growth, which I believe, is what every musician needs. Having fortunately partaken a lesson with Professor Kolomyjec at Mcgill, my drive to go to this school got even stronger. Aside from the highly informative technical aspect of the lesson, she kept stressing the idea of being comfortable, performance must be comfortable and enjoyable. This is something I am working on as a musician and will continue to improve.

Playing the piano introduced me to the world of music, singing carried out my passion. The two years that I've spent with professional training has been full of sacrifices but I feel like hard work has gotten all that I've accomplished so far. I'm fully aware and prepared for all that Mcgill has to offer, and I'm excited and confident that I would be able to contribute greatly to the Schulich School of music.
Millin Gabani 10 / 22 1  
Dear HeytisJenn

Sentence like this: 'I was four years old, when I was exposed to the world of music, playing the piano.'
means: 'I was exposed to the world of music when I was four years old playing the piano.'

There is a grammatical error in it. do you understand this phrase : ' I was four years old playing the piano'
It makes no sense.

Now easy way to interpret this type of sentence is to cut the lines in between the comma :
'I was four years old, when I was exposed to the world of music, playing the piano.'

so your sentence can be corrected as :
'At age of four, when I was first exposed to world of music, I played paino'
OP HeyitsJenn 1 / 2  
Thank you so much. I'll fix that right now!!
a608863a 5 / 21 1  
What drew me to the Schulich school of music was their focus on individual growth and uniqueness

In this sentence , "their" is an unclear pronoun .If you want to refer to the school ,the pronoun it should be "its".

Home / Undergraduate / At four I played the piano ; Statement of Intent/McGill U/ Schulich School of Music