Since I was four, I have seen my mother make yogurt. Chemistry/Biology major at Hopkins.

bluedolphinz 4 / 24  
Prompt: Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this supplement, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)"

Since I was four, I have seen my mother make yogurt. She stirs in old yogurt with milk, heats the mixture, and then covers it in a warm place. Seemingly magically, the next day, fresh, solid, yogurt awaits us! The process baffled me, as did many other kitchen rituals. How did milk turn into creamy yogurt? Why did pizza dough expand? As I entered fifth grade chemistry and biology, I began to understand these processes. The yeast we kept in the fridge was alive. There were bacteria in the yogurt, descendants of the original strain in the culture that my mother had borrowed from a neighbour several years ago.

...
ftfn 4 / 13  
Since I was four, I have seen my mother make yogurt. She stirs in old yogurt with milk, heats the mixture, and then covers it in a warm place.(I think this should be past tense...) Seemingly magically, the next day, fresh, solid, yogurt awaitsawaited us! The process baffled me, as did many other kitchen rituals. How did milk turn into creamy yogurt? Why did pizza dough expand? As I entered fifth grade chemistry and biology, I began to understand these processes. The yeast we kept in the fridge was alive. There were bacteria in the yogurt, descendants of the original strain in the culture that my mother had borrowed from a neighbour several years ago. Gradually I also understood that Cooking was only a combination of chemical and biological processes and properties: exothermic reactions, cellular respiration, polarity, equilibrium, osmosis. Seemingly lifeless materials sprung to life and created fantastic smells and tastes. Small molecules came together to form the basis of life-a cell. The connection between chemistry and biology fascinated me, as did their practical applications.

In high school I pursued classes in my interests: chemistry and biology.I studied various types of chemical reactions in the two chemistry classes(which class, the name) that I took over the summer to gauge my interest in the subject. The molecular interactions and chemical equations made incredible sense. After taking AP Biology, I recognised the connection that large, complex processes had with simple interactions on a molecular level. Every bodily system could be broken down to chemical structure and function. Nerve signals were propagated through ion concentrations. Cells stayed alive through chemical reactions. In both Chemistry and Biology, a combination of excellent teachers and fascinating processes encouraged my interest, which in turn contributed to good performance. As I pursue majors in Chemistry and Biology I hope to gain a better understanding of the intricacies on a chemical level that influence the biological world. At JHU I wish to target these passions and see where they take me(I didn't underdtand the end, ... ).

I love this essay because it achieved a balance between passion and action. But you did not explain why in Hopkinsbut not other colleges or universities. Add something about where you fit in Hopkins and what you can contribute there...Good Luck :D

Can you give some suggestions on my Carleton essay? Thank you!
RamyaRam 6 / 14  
Just some minor changes to maybe make it flow a little more

Magically, the next day, fresh, solid, yogurt awaited us! The process baffled me, as did my mother's other kitchen rituals.

The yeast we kept in the fridge was alive, and there were bacteria in the yogurt, descendants of the original strain in the culture that my mother had borrowed several years ago.

Cooking was a combination of chemical and biological processes, and this connection between chemistry and biology fascinated me, as did its practical applications.

The opportunities that JHU provides in terms of undergraduate research, interactions with faculty, and internships will enable me to excel (maybe carry on this sentence a little more, like "excel at..." or something)

You have really used an innovative topic to describe your interest in chemistry and biology. Great essay and best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Since I was four, I have seen my mother make yogurt. Chemistry/Biology major at Hopkins.