'Frank Ocean's Bad Religion' - My fav song. Essay for UChicago

diabatem 5 / 32  
Share with us a few of your favorite books, poems, authors, films, plays, pieces of music, musicians, performers, paintings, artists, blogs, magazines, or newspapers. Feel free to touch on one, some, or all of the categories listed, or add a category of your own.

My favorite song thus far is Frank Ocean's Bad Religion. I believe this is an excellent song that forces the listener to 'read' between the lines. On the surface, a listener may think that this song is an attack on the religion of Islam because of the references made within it; however, this song is actually referring to sexual identity.

When the song begins, Frank Ocean is in a taxi with a Muslim driver. Frank Ocean is weighed down by his secret and starts to confine in the driver. Frank Ocean wants to tell the driver everything that he has been running away from and suggests to the driver to drive on the streets to give him ample amount of time to do so. Before Frank Ocean, is done telling the driver his story, the driver says, "allahu akbar" which is Arabic for God is great. The driver says this phrase to perhaps, stop Frank Ocean from continuing on with his story. The driver probably had a notion of what Frank's story was and did not know any better way of helping him. Frank Ocean responses to him by saying, "Don't curse me." He may have said this because he did not understand the meaning behind the phrase; alternatively, the phrase reminded him of pain and agony he feels inside. The innocent taxi driver tells Frank "boy you need prayer" believing that any problem Frank Ocean has, can be overcome if he devotes himself to God.

The most powerful part of the song was when Frank Ocean responses to the taxi driver suggestion with, "If it brings me to my knees. It's a bad religion." These lines are essence of the song. Frank Ocean cleverly uses the action of kneeling as a symbolic correlation to religion. In most organized religions, this action is used to talk to God in some fashion. By using this analogy, he avoids attacking a single religion. His statement that is a 'bad religion' is in reference to how he is expected to beg God for forgiveness for his sin, but the sin he has performed is pulling him apart from God to begin with. None of the popular religions accept or acknowledge homosexuals. Frank Ocean begging to God will bring about unbearable pain and anger to himself because he would not be able to love thing the way he wants to. These lines bring up the question 'what is the point to praising God, if he does not recognize and accept your devotion to him because of you who you fell in love with?'

This question bothered me for a while, until I came up with my answer. We are using old customs to solve a modern problem. We all products of a sinful world, and should not stop or limited ourselves based on societal norms. If we do not love our true self, how can we expect anyone else to, nonetheless, God too?

Frank Ocean magnificently used a forum in which comfortable to express what he and others like him were feeling. Very rarely do I see or hear art that is genuine and relatable to me. He did not care about the public's opinion when he expressed his truth, and I condemn him for that. He did something noble and courageous, and I aspire to do something similar to him. Although I am not homosexual, after listening and analyzing this song, I gained a whole new perspective on life. This song allowed me see the turmoil homosexuals face; the internal conflict they face with in themselves. A conflict in which no one can solve and something we can all relate to.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Fantastic job! I love this essay, you have written this in a very wise and mature manner. I have a few suggestions for your grammar.

I believe this is an excellent song that forces the listener to "read between the lines".
I think that this a better way to use quotations for this expression.

Frank Ocean is weighed downburdened by his secret and starts to confide in the driver.
Before Frank Ocean, is done telling the driver his story, the driver says,"allahu akbar" which is Arabic for God is great. hjny
You may want to say it like this: "Although Frank Ocean was not finished telling his story, the driver interrupts him by saying "allahu akbar" which is Arabic for God is great."

Frank Oceanresponds to him by saying, "Don't curse me." He may have said this because he did not understand the meaning behind the phrase; or alternatively, the phrase reminded him of the pain and agony he feels inside.

..believing that any problem Frank Ocean has c an be overcome if he devotes himself to God. .

These lines are the essence of the song.
OP diabatem 5 / 32  
Jennyflower81
Thank you so much. Question: Do you think my essay flows together well. If not can you pinpoint where exactly I need to fix the flow?
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) Yes, it flows fairly well, and I can point out one part that needs to be cleared up: His statement that is a 'bad religion' is in reference to how he is expected to beg God for forgiveness for his sin, but the sin he has performed is pulling him apart from God to begin with.

This is very profound, but the sentence is a bit too long and that makes it hard to read it. If you can try to make it more clear then it will be easier to read. The other thought I had was that "None of the popular religions accept or acknowledge homosexuals." is not quite true, be sure to research this fact to ensure its validity.

Also, the rest of this notion: "Frank Ocean begging to God will bring about unbearable pain and anger to himself because he would not be able to love thing the way he wants to. These lines bring up the question 'what is the point to praising God, if he does not recognize and accept your devotion to him because of you who you fell in love with?'"

You do raise a very good point, but try to be more clear. It is his own religion that is making him think this way, so the lesson is to break away from the religion and get closer to god instead, because god truly loves everyone, no matter if you are gay. I understand what you are saying, you are translating his lyrics but it needs to sound a bit more clear. You could improve on this part to make your essay perfect :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Frank Ocean's Bad Religion' - My fav song. Essay for UChicago