"Freedom of the Press and censorship" - Georgetown SFS Essay

rahuja 2 / 5  
Hey I am applying to Georgetown SFS and would love some feedback on this essay!

APPLICANTS TO THE WALSH SCHOOL OF FOREIGN SERVICE: Briefly discuss a current global issue, indicating why you consider it important and what you suggest should be done to deal with it.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." John Milton

Freedom of the Press is the foundation of a just global society. It is essential to preserve this freedom because the right to criticize and discuss issues without fear of persecution ensures that government is responsive and aware of the people's needs and desires. In the increasingly connected world that we live in, it is unbelievable that almost one third of the world's population is not ensured this basic liberty. The freedom to speak one's mind needs to be a universally guaranteed right.

In many countries, full government control of all media outlets and complete filtration and censorship of all published material is commonplace. For example, in Eritrea there is not a single privately owned news media corporation. This is not acceptable because every citizen deserves the right to access information that is not controlled by the government. If every news item is produced by the federal authority, it can be assumed that no discussion about the merits of federal institutions can exist. Instead, news and media is completely devoted to regurgitating government propaganda and ideology instead of exploring the ways that government can improve. A country cannot in good faith consider themselves wholly democratic if they do no allow free discussion. At times, government control of the media can be downright dangerous. When the SARS epidemic raged through China in 2003, the government proscribed the media from discussing the issue in the hopes of minimizing the alarm. This resulted in many individuals being unaware of the danger and continuing risky practices that put them in jeopardy. Government control of the media limits freedoms that the people should possess.

Privately owned media serves a variety of valuable purposes. Oftentimes, media corporations serve as watchdog of government and have uncovered corruption from Watergate to illegal government weapon trading in India. In a sense, the media provides legitimacy to a country and strengthens political stability in that it ensures that government is aware and responsive to peoples needs. This increases overall quality of life and promotes a stronger society as a whole. Freedom of the press and uncensored communication and discussion between citizens is essential in a modern country.

One of the main ways that the issue of censorship and complete government control of the media can be assailed is through the United Nations. The UN is a powerful conglomerate, with almost every country in the world listed as a member. The goal of this coalition, as said in its charter, is to "... promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom." Although the Universal Declaration of Human Rights that was drafted by the UN states that everyone has the freedom to express their opinions, the agreement was non-binding and is effectively useless. When the UN did draft a treaty to bind countries to ensuring freedom of the press through the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights, many countries just signed it and then proceeded to break the rules they just pledged to follow. The UN and its powerful members such as the United States and Great Britain need to take a stronger role and enforce the binding treaty that was signed and if necessary penalize countries through trade sanctions if they do not follow through on their commitments to preserve these basic liberties. Having said that, the impact of economic sanctions should be analyzed before being implemented to ensure that the citizens of the country where the sanctions will be placed will not be substantially harmed. The UN is not following through on their mandate if they do not preserve this right. Also, it is the responsibility of every country where freedom of the press exists to publicize the lack of this right in other countries and raise awareness about the pervasive censorship that exists.

Excessive government control of the media and censorship is a critical issue that needs global attention. To ensure a fair society, every country must allow social and governmental criticism through media outlets and must not repress that material. Freedom of the press is a liberty that people of every nation deserve.
ltpvan 5 / 35  
In the increasingly connected world that we live in, it is unbelievable that almost one third of the world's population is not ensured this basic liberty.

What does the "world being more connected" have to do with "freedom of the press"? The bold part should state why it's incredible that freedom of the press is not ensure.

A country cannot in good faith consider themselves wholly democratic if they do no allow free discussion.

Not every country is a democracy. This sentence seems to me like you're saying "only democratic countries needs freedom of the press" instead of "every country needs freedom of the press."

Privately owned media serves a variety of valuable purposes. Oftentimes, media corporations serve as watchdog of government and have uncovered corruption from Watergate to illegal government weapon trading in India.

I'd replace "watchdog" since it really have a negative connotation in this context. Unless you want to convey that the media is bad, choose another word!

This increases overall quality of life and promotes a stronger society as a whole.

How?

Though not explicitly stated, most essays wants you to incorporate yourself into the essay and tell colleges about YOU. I think they could careless what you think. With argumentative essay like this, it's good to give some concession to the other side of the arguments as well. Also, your essay gives a feel of being too "finalize" because you use a lot of strong language like "must" or "need."

I think that it's good that you're trying to show your conviction toward this issue, but I just feel like you're being too critical of the government and the UN.

P.S. I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, just being honest.

Good luck :)

Have some time? Look at mine! Thanks
OP rahuja 2 / 5  
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of the feedback it was quite helpful. Please do rip on me that is the only way I can get better!

Home / Undergraduate / "Freedom of the Press and censorship" - Georgetown SFS Essay