"Without freedom of speech, the world would be biased." - issue and its importance

studyenglish 2 / 2  
Greetings everyone!
This is my essay for the common app. The prompt is pasted below

Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.

Nowadays, freedom of speech is mainly appreciated in most countries. Someone who has an expression, whether it is good or bad, could explicitly burst it out without considering that it would offend another people. Every people obviously has different ideas towards every aspects of the world, freedom of speech is instrumental to manifest these ideas. Without freedom of speech, the world would be biased.

In a developing country like Indonesia, freedom of speech often neglected in the past and people were afraid to express their feelings. This particular problem first occurs in New Order regime, which was led by Soeharto; he was considered as a dictator and corruptor by most of Indonesian citizens. In his presidential period, people were afraid to criticize his despotism. Nevertheless, there were individuals who tried to expose government's flaws through the media. Whether they are killed or exiled, the government wanted them to be removed from the community. As Soeharto's regime fell, people began to aware that they actually have the freedom of speech. Over the years, Indonesian book publishers gradually produce books containing educational topics such as sex education, communism, dictatorship, etc. that are considered taboo in the past. In turn, education is significantly affected by freedom of speech. To be specific, freedom of speech had an important role in flourishing Indonesia's educational development.

Through my high school years, I expressed a lot of thoughts which led me into my future goals. Although I was shy in my freshmen year, my fears of bursting my thought finally ripped off when I met my Chemistry teacher. One day he asked my opinion about bio polymers and I was speechless even though there are numerous ideas floating through my mind. I was afraid to show my ideas, as if I would be punished if I said something wrong. After class he invited me to his office and that inspirational talk began with me, standing like an ice block, afraid to stare his eyes. He said, "Hey, I know that you have some bright ideas. Why did you remain silence in class?" Without clear voice I answer his question, "Sir, I was afraid of being ridiculed by my friends if I said something wrong, or even funny in your class." He was shocked by my answer. Without hesitation, he immediately bombards me with a stupendous motivational line, "Wilson, everyone has his/her freedom of speech. There is nothing to be ashamed when you are ridiculed by your classmates and do not ridicule them when they have irrelevant thoughts either. Now get back to your class and just yell out your brilliant ideas. I believe the teacher will be on your side when your friends mock you, we are not in the Soeharto's regime anymore, son." Through that inspiring talk, I realized that I have to express my thoughts in order to prosper in my academic environment.

By experiencing this particular incident, I can conclude that freedom of speech is necessary for a student to germinate well in a competitive environment like university. As a student who pursues an engineering career, I believe that sharing ideas among peers and being confident will show a lucid path into a successful future.

Advices are much appreciated. Thank you :D

Please help in my grammar because I am not a native English speaker:)
Hi Wilson, I see that Varchas made many corrections! Please practice typing it the way Varchas instructed, and that will eliminate your errors.

I will help with some more of the essay:

Ha ha, this part is excellent! I am having a hard time finding errors... I like this -----> Now get back to your class and just yell out your brilliant ideas. I believe the teacher will be on your side when your friends mock you. We are not in the Soeharto's regime anymore, son."

It is brilliant to connect freedom of speech with confidence in class. I never thought of it that way!

Practice typing the essay and including the corrections! You will soon be able to write in English with no errors.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Without freedom of speech, the world would be biased." - issue and its importance