"a freshman who hated Chinese"; "chicken on fire" - UC PROMPT 1 & 2

gman450 1 / 4  
UC Prompt #2:
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

Beads of sweat trickled down the contestant's face, as he struggled to remember the next part of his speech. While the contestant stood there frantically searching for his thoughts, I sympathized with his situation. If even experienced competitors succumb to the stress of the competition, how would a freshman who hated Chinese one fare?

When my teacher suggested that I should participate in the competition, I did not know how to respond. Although I love Chinese tradition and culture, I hated the difficulty of the course. At the time, I contemplated to say no, but accepted the offer because I thought it provided me the outlet I needed to present myself in a new light; I really cared for the course. After months of preparation, I felt ready for the competition.

Nothing was more important to me on that cold,foggy day than the Chinese speech competition. . contestants entered the assigned room, the friendly atmosphere dissipated at the sight of the judges. Fear and anxiety plagued the room. The first contestant was called to perform. Strutting to the front of the room, the first contestant. As his voice began to raise at the climax of his speech, an eerie silence swept the room.

With each step I took, I felt my heart beating faster. With a deep breathe, I gathered myself and began my speech on my grandpa. Though intimidated by the stares and glares at first, I ignored them and focus on the delivery of my speech. Emotions I did not expect overwhelmed me. Feelings of sadness and pain flooded my heart as I talked about the death of my grandpa. At one point during my performance, I had to stop in order to hold back the tears. Silence swept the audience again, but this time the emotion was different. Some contestants and even one of the judge were crying. As I concluded my speech with the morale of my story, applauses erupted to break the silence. I headed back to my seat while cherishing the sense of relief and confidence that I felt at the moment.

I am so grateful that I took the risk it changed my attitude toward the course, but more importantly my culture. Since the Chinese speech contest, I feel that I am more comfortable talking to a large group of people. From this experience, I learned that if I believe in myself and follow my passion, I can accomplish many feats. While the third place trophy is a nice mantle piece, the true reward of this experience is my ability to preserve against the obstacles. At times I can be funny and at times I can be serious. It relates to me because I am a very spontaneous person. I love excitement and can exhibit many emotions in one conversation.

UC Prompt #1:
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

"THE CHICKEN IS ON FIRE! THE CHICKEN IS ON FIRE", I screamed. My parents rushed into the smoky kitchen, only to catch me burning tonight's dinner. Tears rolled down my eyes, as I awaited for the inevitable punishment. I open my eyes and saw not the furious eyes of my parents, but instead, my father on the floor laughing. For years, I have asked this trivial question: Why were my parents laughing when I could have burned the apartment down?

The different qualities my parents has given helped influenced the person I am today: an innovative, independent thinker. Of the qualities that I posses, patience is not one of them. When I was six, I had a hard time learning because the material at school were too boring. Using approaches such as counting beans for mathematics and drawing animals to represent letters of the alphabet, I craved for learning once again. From my mother, I aspire to incorporate my creativity and personality in every project I work on. My mother's lessons is reflected through my teaching methods as a peer mentor. As a peer mentor, I play a role in helping students who scored a below average STAR test score to develop necessary skills to succeed in school. During one-on-one sessions with my mentee, I do not take the conventional approach. Instead, I incorporate my passion for sports into every session: Kick Ball Know Each Other and Study Skill HORSE. The assertive beliefs I hold are attributed to my father's upbringing. The ability to discern from right and wrong is crucial in life; one must stand up for one's belief or risk being exploited by others. . Education does not equate to regurgitating facts or memorizing mathematical equations, but rather to develop analytical, insightful individuals.

Christoper Morley once said, " There is only one success -to be able to spend your life in your own way." . In the kitchen, I finally realized why my parents laughed at me; In order to successfully cook a chicken, one needs proper guidance and teaching. Like how my parents were an influential force in my life, I hope to be the force that inspires and motivate others. I hope to impart my skills as a mentor and teacher as a student of the University of California.
OP gman450 1 / 4  
Any help will be nice :)
msparkee - / 2  
I really enjoyed reading your second essay. Very humorous and touching.
I only changed a few things: (in bold)

"THE CHICKEN IS ON FIRE! THE CHICKEN IS ON FIRE", I screamed. My parents rushed into the smoky kitchen, only to catch me burning tonight's dinner. Tears rolled down my eyes, as I awaited for the inevitable punishment. But then I opened my eyes and saw not the furious eyes of my parents, but instead, the image of my father on the floor laughing. For years after, I have asked myself this trivial question: Why were my parents laughing when I could have burned the apartment down?

SEE ABOVE
OP gman450 1 / 4  
thanks for the help!
OP gman450 1 / 4  
no... sorry, but how is that relevant to my essay?
cyndi19910628 - / 2  
Sorry, it was just my guess.
I am a Chinese student so I am really happy to know some foreign people who are learning Chinese

I think your essays are really good since you have numerous examples and very fun to read.
Wow, great essay. No, I have no changes to suggest. You write very well!

Home / Undergraduate / "a freshman who hated Chinese"; "chicken on fire" - UC PROMPT 1 & 2