'no friends just mere strangers' - UC #2 Expanding Percpective

Semler4 1 / 1  
While everyone else caught up during lunch, I sat all alone in that massive quad holding back tears. It was the first day of high school and I was in despair. I was a transfer student and in an unfamiliar situation. There were no friends just mere strangers. Strangers who I couldn't talk to, laugh with, or even approach. I felt as if I completely left the world I knew best, behind. Nine years of building a reputation at my old district was gone. I wasn't popular, smart, or funny to these new faces. They knew nothing about my existence. I was merely a speck of dust in a giant's eye. I went home that day, called my mom at work and broke down in tears. I told her I didn't want to go to that school anymore. I didn't fit in. She just chuckled and in the most comforting voice said "It's only the first day sweetie. I promise it will get better." It made the tears stop but I wasn't yet convinced. I hated every inch of that school because it stood for so much. It stood for my parents split, loss of my friends and reputation. Ironically, that hate turned to love and I would come to cherish my mother's decision. Switching districts taught me how to be true to myself, embrace change, and encouraged me to meet new people. Right before my 8th grade year my parents decided it would be best if they took a break from their marriage. Visitation was their first priority. They decided on an every other week basis. My dad stayed in the house I grew up in. My mom moved in with her sister for 8 months until she saved enough money to move me, my brother, and sister to an apartment. Unfortunately, the new apartment was 3 blocks down from a local high school. As I approached the end of my 8th grade year my mom was faced with a difficult situation. She told me one day that due to transportation issues, if I wanted to continue seeing her I would have to transfer districts. I couldn't refuse. She was my mother and I loved her to death. It was hard enough going one week without her. I reluctantly decided to give it a shot. The first day of school was horrible. I had never felt so uncomfortable in my life, but just as my mom promised, things got better. It took me a while to shake the new kid feeling but I began to like the new environment. I came from the lower-middle class city of La Puente, while my school was in the higher-middle class city of West Covina. I was used to seeing graffiti, gangs, drugs, and worn down houses. So when I saw that my new school was surrounded by a vibrant shopping center, multimillion dollar homes, and golf course I was in awe. The world had been flipped. A new door was open but what I became oblivious too was that I was different. When I went into that school I thought everything would be cool. I thought I could start right where I left off. Boy was I wrong, but that first day of pain led to something greater. I finally felt the power that I held in my hands. There was the power of change. If I didn't want to have that same feeling I experienced the first day I would have to adapt. More importantly I would have to embrace the change and make the best out of it. I began to free my mind and just be who I was. I started rapidly meeting new people. The majority knew I was different. They often referred to me having a so-called "ghettoness" because I wore baggie clothes, long socks, and hats. I didn't have the name brand clothes or the best shoes but that's who I was. I liked being different. It set me apart from everyone else. Even though I wasn't as rich, smart, or cool as some of the people, I soon realize that it didn't matter. Some people would accept me and some would not. That was life. The people I would meet were going to have their own perspective no matter what. Meeting new people meant getting to see new perspectives. I began to enjoy meeting new people. Astonished of how different the students were, I realized how one's environment can shape their perspectives. For example, I was by no means considered ghetto in my hometown, but to them I was. I still respected their perspective no matter what because they were from a different walk of life. As a result, I became more open minded and had a broader perspective on life. I experienced the hard-ships of life in my home town and it created a sense of humbleness and integrity. At the same time I witnessed the affluent lifestyle in my high school community and it created a better outlook on life. I was confined to one type of life style from kindergarten up to 8th grade. Had my mom never switched me to a new district I would have a very narrow perspective on life. As college approaches I become even more grateful for my experience. I am intrigued by the opportunity to meet new people from all over the country. I want to see their perspectives just as I got to see those of my high school classmates. I desire to experience that feeling of adapting to change once again. Some sort of revitalization. I need to be challenged and uncomfortable because it leads to greater personal development. I thought that switching districts was a life changing experience for the worst. Fear of losing friends and my reputation blinded me. When I was able to void these materialistic things, I discovered a whole new life. A life filled with opportunity, respectable perspectives, and a life beyond my own.
marengunnell 2 / 4  
This is a really interesting essay but I think that is was a little choppy. For example in the essay it would switch time periods every few sentences, I became confused as to where you were in time and what point of your life it was. Try to build paragraphs on one subject at a time maybe?

Home / Undergraduate / 'no friends just mere strangers' - UC #2 Expanding Percpective