'the future physicians of America program' - Common app

thesnowball 1 / -  
Hello everyone new to this forum, was wondering if someone wouldn't mind critiquing my short answer extra curricular essay.

Through the future physicians of America program I learned a tremendous amount of invaluable knowledge as well as became a much more mature individual. I had the privilege of speaking with doctors and nurses of various fields such as anesthesiology, general surgery, and radiology, which allowed to me to gain an insight into the world of medicine. However what I got most out of this program was not the knowledge I acquired but the experience of helping the patients out, which in turn helped me. It was my duty to bring the patients water, food, and especially get a nurse or doctor if they were in need, I took this extremely seriously as the comfort of these individuals was in my hands, as a result of having this responsibility for several months, I became a much more responsible person. I also had the privilege of speaking with the patients, taking their mind off the various illnesses or injuries that they may have had, I can only hope these patients got as much out talking with me as I did with them for I became a much more caring and sympathetic individual. I am unsure if I have a future in medicine but I am certainly glad for the knowledge and maturity that the Future Physicians of America program has given me.

i know it needs definite work but i am already at the letter limit, so please don't hesitate to make suggestions

Thank you for any and all help.

(apologize if i did something wrong)
hixtine 4 / 9  
I think that the "future physicians of America" in the first sentence needs to be capitalized. Some of the sentences run on a bit.

It was my duty to bring the patients water, food, and especially get a nurse or doctor if they were in need, I took this extremely seriously as the comfort of these individuals was in my hands, as a result of having this responsibility for several months, I became a much more responsible person.

It seems like there are a lot of good points about your individual characteristics, but it gets muddled because there are a lot of ideas in one sentence. I think its a great that you highlighted a good deed.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the future physicians of America program' - Common app