"Gambia, Gambia, Gambia" - Stanford supplement: Intellectual vitality

Vashi94 1 / 1  
1. Stanford students possess intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.
You...you can represent The Gambia in the conference." "The Gambia...," I thought to myself, "must be easy!" It wasn't.

Amidst lots of uncertainty, anxiety and willingness, the students in my class were informed of a Model United Nations conference. We were to debate and write resolutions in response to the then-increasingly intractable political turmoil in Ivory Coast. We were each designated a country whose opinions and interests we were to embody in the conference.

The research was the most demanding part. Little did I know that the problems could be traced back to the fact that Alassane Ouattara was not Ivorian but actually of Burkinabé descent. There were many issues of international concern during the crisis including the fact that French soldiers were sent on a peace-keeping mission and whether military involvement was actually a necessity. Refugees, their welfare and influence on neighbouring countries were hot debate points. I understood that there were so many linkages between the varied causes, some obvious and some latent, and it was their convention that led to the ultimate crisis. I struggled to identify the relations and find the key problems, let alone decipher completely my country's take on the issue. The task was challenging, but not insurmountable.

"D-day" finally arrived and I was nervous. Representing a small country, I had already been stymied by the limited resources and opinions that were released on the situation. Whereas countries like USA commanded respect and had lots to say, I sometimes had to create things from the basic skills of empathy in being my country. Gathering all I could, I bravely added to the on-going debates. As the debate surged forward, passion and dedication for Gambia soared as every ounce of my body seemed to chant "Gambia, Gambia, Gambia.". Every minute was a trial of nerves and research as I had to scrutinize and find loop-holes in anything wrong being stated. Facts and figures never seemed more important. However, the want and will to learn from the experience kept me going.

As the day came to a close, I was both relieved and exhausted. It was like I was in an International crisis management course taking an honours program. It was rigorous and tough. Nevertheless, what I took away from it was priceless. I learned to be more mundane and developed some new skills in being empathetic. Motivation and commitment were the morals of the day. Phew, what a day!
Soji Skulls 2 / 5  
Great essay!

Refugees, their welfare and influence on neighbouring countries were hot debate points.------ place a comma after welfare.
Amidst lots of uncertainty, anxiety and willingness,

I don't know if these are the correct words. Should willingness be on this list? It seems a little confusing.

I don't think you should include dialogue like this. I know some essayists do it, but... it always seems a little silly. Instead of doing dialogue, write a few sentences that REALLY express the CONCEPT you learned, the INSIGHT you gained.

The reader needs one big theme to wrap her mind around. What is your big theme for this essay?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Gambia, Gambia, Gambia" - Stanford supplement: Intellectual vitality